1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?
Halloween is connected with the Roman Catholic commemorative day of the souls (November 2, if I am not wrong). The Orthodox Church has established many such commemorative days throughout the year (the "Psychosavvata"=Saturdays of the souls). For example, in October, on Saturday before the feast of St. Demetrius the Great Martyr (October 26) there is such a day. People go to the cemeteries and the priests say a relatively short prayer (the "Trisagion", which literally means "Thrice-Holy") above the tombs of the departed. So, indeed Halloween is not compatible with the Greek tradition. However, there are some Halloween events which take place in Greece (e.g. parties) or, if I am not wrong, even Halloween stuff sold in the shops.

Reactions: lalajess

lalajess

Halloween is connected with the Roman Catholic commemorative day of the souls (November 2, if I am not wrong). The Orthodox Church has established many such commemorative days throughout the year (the "Psychosavvata"=Saturdays of the souls). For example, in October, on Saturday before the feast of St. Demetrius the Great Martyr (October 26) there is such a day. People go to the cemeteries and the priests say a relatively short prayer (the "Trisagion", which literally means "Thrice-Holy") above the tombs of the departed. So, indeed Halloween is not compatible with the Greek tradition. However, there are some Halloween events which take place in Greece (e.g. parties) or, if I am not wrong, even Halloween stuff sold in the shops.
From what I can tell, it's the United States that really goes nuts for Halloween. However, because of that influence and maybe from movies and shows that are made in the USA that go to other countries, it seems like there is at least. small presence.

Love your explanation from an Orthodox perspective - that's what's most important. It really isn't a Christian day at all...

ellinasgolfer0320

Historically, no because it is an American holiday. Today, you might find a few Halloween parties because they love to copy American culture/traditions.

k_tsoukalas

That's been my experience, as well. I was even in Greece once on Halloween and nothing really seemed to be going on.

When does Greek Lent start?

I know that Greek Easter is a week after Western Easter this year - sometime in Mid April. I actually observe Western Easter, but I love Greek cooking and culture, so I joined the forum.

I want to learn more about the religious side of things for Greeks. I know that lent is coming up, does anyone know when it starts? I am talking about Greek Lent. I might borrow some Greek lenten recipes as time goes on for my own lenten journey... But I will post on that when the time comes.

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?

How do people in Greece exercise?

When I visit Greece, I am always amazed that I don't see fitness centers or gyms. How do people in Greece exercise? I did see a lot of workers and a runner or two on ny given day. What's strange is that I know plenty of people in Greece who actually go to the gym.

What is the general attitude for exercise and fitness in Greece? What do people do? I plan to visit Greece soon and I want to plan some workout time, and am just looking for ideas.

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube