1 - 5 of 5 Posts

efhernandez_

I have had it with this global heat!! I can't stand sweating and being so sticky, so Im looking to vacation in a place that's breezy and windy, and I'm hoping that Santorini is a bit cooler than other areas in Greece. Is this true? Or should I be looking elsewhere

Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

I have had it with this global heat!! I can't stand sweating and being so sticky, so Im looking to vacation in a place that's breezy and windy, and I'm hoping that Santorini is a bit cooler than other areas in Greece. Is this true? Or should I be looking elsewhere
Santorini can get pretty windy, but I wouldn't say its windy all the time. Expect a cool breeze in the evening by the water though, that is very typical

Lotjeurope

Andros, Tinos and Kefalonia tend to be the most windy islands.
On every island you will always have some wind. Sometimes it's more and sometimes less windy.
Yesterday (Friday) on Ios there was really no wind at all. On Monday it was very windy. So it changes.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

Andros, Tinos and Kefalonia tend to be the most windy islands.
On every island you will always have some wind. Sometimes it's more and sometimes less windy.
Yesterday (Friday) on Ios there was really no wind at all. On Monday it was very windy. So it changes.
That has been my experience as well, its pretty unpredictable

k_tsoukalas

Santorini can be pretty windy but it depends on the time of year. I went in May one year, and they had an interesting wind that was bringing desert sand to Santorini, and then someone told me that they often have to repaint the buildings after it's over.

Here is a glimpse of Megalochori village in Santorini

Megalochori is one of Santorini's most beautiful villages! You can't visit the island without walking around and seeing the sights. When visiting, be careful of the residents who are staying there. Santorini has had a problem with people walking on the buildings and making too much noise. Yes it is a very touristy place but there are many residents that still live there. Enjoy!

Is Santorini actually overrated?

I keep hearing this statement over and over....and I'm kind of confused. I loved Santorini when I went, as you can see in my profile picture. I loved riding the donkeys with my kids and exploring the island. I get that its crowded and a little overpriced but I think it was an unforgettable experience. I wouldn't have taken it back and gone to another island! What are your thoughts for those that have been?

How do I avoid the crowds in Santorini (besides going in the off season)?

I might be asking a very stupid question here… But is there anyway to avoid the tourists in Santorini besides going in the off-season? My husband is a teacher, and we really only get summers off, so there isn't a chance for us to go to Santorini in May or September. If anyone has advice on how to avoid the crowds, and how to travel on the off beaten path, please reply to this thread! Thank you so much!

The best restaurants in Santorini

Santorini has some of the best Greek cuisine! Ever since the tourism industry has been booming, chefs from all over the world have been visiting, opening up restaurants, and collaborating with Greek shifts. In my opinion, this is the island where you can get the most diverse and elevated cuisine. These are the best restaurants in my opinion, but please let me know your top pics. I would love to know.

- Ouzeri
-Almira
-Ambrosia
-FalafeLand (vegan)

These are just a handful that I can remember off the top of my head!

The best place to go scuba diving in Santorini

Santorini is one of the best places to go scuba diving because the island was created from a volcano many years ago which makes the sea life very different from other areas of Greece. There are very unique Coral reef Sandrock formations that have come from the volcano, and as always, the sea is teeming with wildlife. I highly recommend visiting Caldera Lagoon and arranging that you go scuba diving there. There are a few local schools that you should call ahead of time to schedule your slot. Best of luck!
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter