1 - 2 of 2 Posts

redsoxdw_

I've been doing more research on eco tourism and I found this video on how to be an eco tourist in Kefalonia

Reactions: francescool

k_tsoukalas

Wow, Kefalonia is stunning! Absolutely breathtaking. It makes sense that this island has an "ecotourism" presence.

Single travellers

I am arriving in Argostoli at the end of May. I am a single traveller, dont drive, quite elderly! Anyone have suggestions re trips/excursions? (Am a seasoned visitor to the island).

Have you tried Mandola? Its Kefalonias most famous sweet

Mandola is a very popular sweet in Kefalonia and it is one of the biggest exports from the island. This treat is made of almond, honey, sugar and egg whites. The dessert has a few different variations, but is usually gluten free! The ingredients are very simple which is why they are so allergen friendly. I was doing some research and apparently these cookies are originally from the Venetian occupation in Kefalonia.

These are the top monasteries that you should visit in Kefalonia

If you were interested in learning about the Greek Orthodox religion, monasteries are a great way to start. They represent a very traditional and preserved part of the religion, that you will not find in the church. I always recommend visiting operating monasteries so that you can get an opportunity to see the monks. Here are some of the top ones in my opinon

1. Monastery of Argilion
2. Monastery of Agios Andreas
3. Monastery of Lagouvarda
4. Monastery of Sissia

Learn about Saint Gerasimus, the patron saint of Kefalonia

This video shows church services straight from Kefalonia on the saints day of Saint Gerasimus who is the patron saint of Kefalonia. Regions in Greece will have what is called a patron saint, who is said to protect and watch over the island. As you will see in the video, everyone from the surrounding area and villages will gather for this very important celebration and ceremony, it is truly a delight to see!

The Kefalonia-Ithaca Geopark is now an official member of the UNESCO World Geoparks Network

This is huge news for Kefalonia and the conservation of the geopark. This means that UNESCO will play a pivotal role in supporting efforts to educate about and preserve the sustainability of the geopark. This will have an impact on tourism and help sustain some of the eco-tourism efforts that we have been seeing all around Greece. Bravo to the government and the municipality of Kefalonia!
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter