1 - 4 of 4 Posts

seleanor

The low tides are the best part of Elafonisi beach because you can wade in the water and relax without waves, seaweed or deep dirtier water. I love this beach!

elafonissi-beach-crete-900x442.jpg

nm1999

The low tides are the best part of Elafonisi beach because you can wade in the water and relax without waves, seaweed or deep dirtier water. I love this beach!

View attachment 813
Stunning!! Yes, that's why I love this beach, its great for kids and families :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great photo! Here is more information about the Elafonisi beach on Crete:

k_tsoukalas

This is seriously one of the best beaches in Greece. It's a stunning place, the weather is always amazing, and Crete is just a wonderful island!

What is the highest number in words from ancient greek

Maybe you can tell me what is the highest number to use in words in antique greek numeral system? Please help me ou really trying to find this!

In Crete you can ski in the morning and have lunch by the sea

Who knew Crete was so versatile! This article outlines all of the amazing things that you can do in Crete including skiing! Crete has many mountains that are over 2,000 meters that are covered in snow during the winter. Once you ski to the bottom, you can a little drive over to any neighbouring town and enjoy a lunch by the water.

Did you know that most Cretan restaurants will serve you raki and watermelon after your meal?

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

Rizinia is a lost ancient city in Crete

Over the years, there have been many texts that talk about ancient city in Crete called Rizinia. The existence of the city was unable to be confirmed from archeological artefacts until the 1900s when Italian archeologists found remnants of the city. Many of the artefacts from the sites are found in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion where are you can go and visit them today. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Understanding the Cretan vs standard Greek dialects

Cretan is a very distinct dialect that is spoken on the island of Crete. Many think that it is reminiscent of Cypriot Greek but in my opinion they are pretty different. Having spent some time in Greece two summers ago, I appreciate how different all of the different dialects in Greece are. So many aspects of the Cretan dialect reflect how unique the Cretan culture is. Crete has a strong military history and background as well as a strong agricultural industry. All of these are present in the dialect!

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter