1 - 4 of 4 Posts

seleanor

The low tides are the best part of Elafonisi beach because you can wade in the water and relax without waves, seaweed or deep dirtier water. I love this beach!

elafonissi-beach-crete-900x442.jpg

nm1999

The low tides are the best part of Elafonisi beach because you can wade in the water and relax without waves, seaweed or deep dirtier water. I love this beach!

View attachment 813
Stunning!! Yes, that's why I love this beach, its great for kids and families :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great photo! Here is more information about the Elafonisi beach on Crete:

k_tsoukalas

This is seriously one of the best beaches in Greece. It's a stunning place, the weather is always amazing, and Crete is just a wonderful island!

Visiting Psychro Cave in Crete, also known as Zeus Cave

This is what the Zeus cave looks like in Crete. Ancient Greek mythology claims that this is where the ancient Greek god Zeus was born. Because of this, many many tourists flock from around the world to visit this cave. The cave is also revered as very special because there are many rare and valuable stones found within it such as amethyst. Here is a video clip that shows you the inside of the cave, if you are ever planning to visit.

Local farms to visit while in Crete!

Visiting local farms is one of the best way to see the real agriculture production processes in Greece. Crete is one of the most agricultural islands in the country, and is responsible for producing many olives and wheat that is sent to the mainland and other parts of the world. If you're lucky, some of these farms will have food tasting and tours that are available during the summer months. Some of the most known farms are Agreco Farm, Cretan farm in Hersonissos and the Cretan Olive Oil Farm.

What is better: Chania or Iraklio?

What does everyone recommend for a vacation in Crete? Chania or Iraklio? I've never been to the island, but I would really like to travel there this year. I've heard so much about Crete and that is one of the most unique places in Greece. Has anyone been to either of the islands and has a preference for one of them? Why or why not? I'm really trying to narrow down my trip soon and make a decision about where to visit.

Talented Greek singers and dancers in Crete!

These Cretan dancers are putting on a traditional show! As you will see in the video, these costumes, the music and dancing is all traditional and from the island of Crete. You will probably be able to find some restaurants that provide traditional cretin music and potentially some dancing. I highly recommend attending a live performance for anyone who is trying to learn more about Cretan culture.

Understanding the Cretan vs standard Greek dialects

Cretan is a very distinct dialect that is spoken on the island of Crete. Many think that it is reminiscent of Cypriot Greek but in my opinion they are pretty different. Having spent some time in Greece two summers ago, I appreciate how different all of the different dialects in Greece are. So many aspects of the Cretan dialect reflect how unique the Cretan culture is. Crete has a strong military history and background as well as a strong agricultural industry. All of these are present in the dialect!

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter