1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

Wonder no more! This is a stunning and super traditional Cretan wedding where the bride and groom are wearing traditional clothes (pretty rare these days). Enjoy!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

ellinasgolfer0320

This is very traditional, and what you also see happening in this video is a baptism. This is part of the video isn't traditional. Greeks recently started having baptisms and weddings on the same day - I'm not sure why this is, but it could be to save money because they're both very expensive events.

I'm trying to get my wife to do this for our second wedding ceremony (we had a civil wedding with only 10 people and now we're trying to plan for a larger religious ceremony for both of our families in Greece), but she won't do it. This is similar to what she'd wear if we did it, and I'd wear a tsolias.

Traditional Wedding Dress.jpg

Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

This is very traditional, and what you also see happening in this video is a baptism. This is part of the video isn't traditional. Greeks recently started having baptisms and weddings on the same day - I'm not sure why this is, but it could be to save money because they're both very expensive events.

I'm trying to get my wife to do this for our second wedding ceremony (we had a civil wedding with only 10 people and now we're trying to plan for a larger religious ceremony for both of our families in Greece), but she won't do it. This is similar to what she'd wear if we did it, and I'd wear a tsolias.

View attachment 751
I've heard of the wedding/baptism combo! I love it :) Saves time and money

k_tsoukalas

This is stunning - I would love to go to a real Cretan wedding some day!

Here is some insight about Greek etiquette and body language

Etiquette and body language is extremely important in any culture, especially in Greek Culture. This doesn't meant that you need to follow everything and try to act "Greek" but I think its helpful to be aware of the expectations of others, especially so that you don't offend others. Let me know if you like this video and think its helpful in understanding some of the main components of Greek etiquette.

Do you know these famous Greeks?

This is a really fun game to test your Greek knowledge. Do you know all of these politicians and celebrities? I could only name a few.

Make sure you bring a dessert or small gift if youre invited to a Greek household

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter