1 - 5 of 5 Posts

francescool

This list is just so great! We have so much to learn from ancient Greece

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

k_tsoukalas

I am glad to read about women who have made an impact throughout history! Women are often forgotten.

JayJayT

In history, you don't often hear about the role of women. This is an interesting roundup of names, and they are worth researching more. There's a nice mix of women here, too - poets, athletes, etc. I wish we knew of more.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

In history, you don't often hear about the role of women. This is an interesting roundup of names, and they are worth researching more. There's a nice mix of women here, too - poets, athletes, etc. I wish we knew of more.
Its so important to learn about the role of women in history. Makes me think about the Souliotes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souliotes

Constantine the Great impacted Greece more than you know

Constantine the Great united the Roman empire and made a huge impact on how Greece and Greek Culture played a role in the "Roman" or "Byzantine" empire. His mother was Greek, from Smyrna which is one of the reasons why so much of his influence was in Greece. Constantinople, now known as Istanbul, was named after him and he also is a saint. Many many people in Greece are now named Konstantinos and Konstantina, after his legacy. It is said the Constantine was a religious pioneer although this has also been contested and many criticize him for being violent.

How far did the Ancient Greek empire really expand?

I've seen a lot of debate around this topic and I'm actually not sure how far the ancient Greek empire really expanded. I have seen some news articles that say they were ancient Greeks in modern day England. Is this even possible? And just because they were ancient Greeks in certain areas does that mean that the ancient Greek rule really stretch that far? If anyone has any insight it would really help! Thanks

To Kokkino Potami is the best historical Greek TV show

To Kokkino Potami (Red River) is the best tv show in Greece at the moment! It's super high budget and has amazing Greek actors. The show has only one season and follows the story of the Greek genocide and specifically Pontians (Greek ethnic group) that happened throughout the 1900's. The show is fantastic and I hope they release more seasons. Is anyone watching this show??

Greco-Buddhism

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

800px-Gandhara_Buddha_%28tnm%29.jpeg

Greek history documentary on engineering in Ancient Greece

Engineering is one of the most impactful aspects of Ancient Greece, there was so much advancement during that time that comes from Ancient Greece that we still use today. National Geographic always does a great job of depicting what life was like in ancient Greece. Let me know what you think of the advancements in the comments, I will search for more documentaries and post them. :)

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter