1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I am festinated by the Minoan culture. I saw photos of the Knossos Palace, as well as some of the Frescos, and I realized that I want to learn more about them. I know, I can read history books or look it up online. But, I am talking about experiencing it first hand. Do you guys have any recommendations? I was thinking to visit Crete and seeing some of the ruins... are there any tours you can recommend?

Deborah

Whether or not you take a tour or visit Knossos by yourself, I recommend downloading a guide, particularly one that goes into depth about the history, to read up on it before you go. Also if you take a tour, make sure that it includes the Archeological Museum, as the new museum is not located on the palace site and it’s definitely not to be missed. If you visit Athens before heading out to Crete, you can also see some of the Thera Frescoes at the National Archaeological Museum of Athens, and other major Minoan art.

Whether or not you take a tour or visit Knossos by yourself, I recommend downloading a guide, particularly one that goes into depth about the history, to read up on it before you go. Also if you take a tour, make sure that it includes the Archeological Museum, as the new museum is not located on the palace site and it’s definitely not to be missed. If you visit Athens before heading out to Crete, you can also see some of the Thera Frescoes at the National Archaeological Museum of Athens, and other major Minoan art.
Thank you so much for the tips! Someone told me to be sure to visit the archaeological museum in Heraklion because that is where some of the sensitive artifacts from Knossos are being housed but I didn't know that the archaeological museum in Athens had some Minoan artifacts, as well! Thanks for the tips - and I love the idea of downloading a guide - I think I would do that even if I took a tour...

History of the Orthodox Church in Greece

I know that there is some information about the early church in Greece in the Bible.

Are there other resources to check out that aren't online? I am not sure I trust the online sources.

I know that the early church was set up in places like Ephesus, and that Paul did a lot to speak on the things.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

Getting a Good Overview of Greek History

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture because I married a Greek-American. I figure that history is part of that! So, can you guys share with me some great resources that will give me an overview of the history? I found this on Youtube, don't know if it is any good. I know, I am not a kid. But I figured this would be a nice overview. But, this only covers Ancient Greece. We are planning a trip to Greece and my husband loves history, so I want to at least have a foundation before we go to the country.

Topics to Study in Greek History?

I love learning about Greek history. I think I have a handle on the main aspects of Greek history. For 2023, I would like to delve into some random topics, maybe dive in to some of the major events with more detail, that kind of thing. Here is a list of things I am fascinated about:

- Basic way of life of the Minoans - it seems that they were fairly advanced?
- Delve into some of the aristocratic families in Ancient Athens
- How did Sparta form into the warrior culture?
- The origins of the Greek War for Independence

So far, that is all I have. Does anyone have any ideas?

The Battle Between The Walls 392 BCE

In February 392 BCE, blood flowed through the streets of Corinth. The citizens of this great metropolis had turned on one another in an act of unforgiving bloodshed. Those in favour of continuing the war with Sparta initiated the violence and those advocating for peace were their victims. Sickened by the slaughter; two Corinthian men, Pasimelus and Alcimenes fled the city. Risking life and limb they escaped the carnage by swimming along a swollen watercourse, heading for the Spartan base at Sikyon.

To learn more follow the link below

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-7
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube