1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I'm planning a trip to Greece later this year and would love some advice. While I've heard a lot about the popular islands like Santorini and Mykonos, I'm more interested in exploring some of the smaller, lesser-known islands.

Do you have any recommendations for charming, smaller islands to visit in Greece? I'm looking for those hidden gems that offer beautiful scenery, unique culture, and a relaxing atmosphere without the massive tourist crowds.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I like spetses and agistri, but nothing is a hidden gem anymore; everyone goes everywhere now. I can remember a time when some islands didn't speak Greek and some areas in downtown Athens had no tourists, but they're everywhere now.

I like spetses and agistri, but nothing is a hidden gem anymore; everyone goes everywhere now. I can remember a time when some islands didn't speak Greek and some areas in downtown Athens had no tourists, but they're everywhere now.
I had heard the same thing. Especially in peak summer months (July and August) most place in Greece are mobbed.

I just had some people in my town (not of Greek descent) talk about their trip to Amorogos island! It used to be that islands like that were easy to travel to, to relax, and enjoy - but people from all over are even going to the smaller islands that used to be avoided.

That being said, I love Greece! I will never stop going. But, it takes a lot of research these days to find some relief if traveling during peak season. The best option I've found personally is to go to a big island like Crete. It's a popular destination, but you can always find a peaceful and beautiful village to enjoy to get away from the crowds.

Is Marathon a good day trip from Athens?

I've been planning an itinerary for my upcoming trip to Athens, and I've always been fascinated by the historical significance of Marathon. Considering its role in ancient history and the famous battle that took place there, it seems like a place that might be worth a visit.

However, I'm on the fence about dedicating a whole day trip to Marathon. From what I understand, it isn’t too far from Athens, but I'm trying to weigh up whether the experience is worthy compared to spending that time exploring more within the city itself.

Has anyone made the day trip to Marathon from Athens? Was it an enriching experience, and what are the can't-miss sights? Is the archeological site/museum there engaging enough for a history buff? Also, how about the logistics – is it easy to get to by public transport, or would you suggest renting a car or going with a tour?

I am just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if I should plan to stay overnight. Thanks!

marathon-greece.jpg

Tips for Eco Friendly Travel Tips for Greece

I’m planning a trip to Greece and really want to make it as eco-friendly as possible. I’m interested in sustainable travel practices, from transportation to accommodation and activities. I’d love some advice on the following:
  1. Eco-Friendly Transportation: Best ways to get around Greece with minimal environmental impact. Are there any green transportation options between the islands?
  2. Sustainable Accommodation: Recommendations for eco-friendly hotels or guesthouses, particularly in Athens, Crete, and Santorini.
  3. Green Activities: Suggestions for activities that have a low environmental footprint. Are there any eco-tours or volunteer opportunities focused on conservation?
  4. Local Tips: Any advice on supporting local businesses and reducing waste while traveling in Greece.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Where do you like to visit in the Peloponnese?

I’m planning a trip to the beautiful Peloponnese region in Greece and I’d love to hear about your favorite places to visit there. Whether it’s hidden gems, historical sites, stunning beaches, or charming towns—I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Some of the spots I’ve already heard great things about include:
  • Nafplio: The picturesque seaport town with its medieval castles and vibrant streets.
  • Monemvasia: Known for its medieval fortress and breathtaking views.
  • Olympia: The site of the ancient Olympic Games with its impressive ruins.
  • Mani Peninsula: For its rugged landscape and unique tower houses.
  • Epidaurus: Famous for its ancient theater and historical significance.
I’m open to any suggestions, including local restaurants, activities, and accommodations. Looking forward to your tips and personal experiences!

Taking an Architecture Tour in Greece?

I'm planning a trip to Greece and I'm really interested in taking an architecture tour to explore the rich history and unique styles of Greek architecture. Could anyone recommend reputable tour companies or guides who specialize in architecture tours? I'm particularly interested in visiting iconic sites like the Acropolis in Athens, ancient Greek temples, and perhaps lesser-known gems off the beaten path.

Additionally, what are some must-see architectural wonders that shouldn't be missed? Are there specific regions or cities known for their architectural significance that I should prioritize?

Any tips on what to expect during an architecture tour in Greece, including the best times to visit these sites or any local customs to be aware of, would be greatly appreciated.

Visiting Delphi worth it?

I am trying to figure out if visiting Delphi is worth it. I want to fit seeing as many historical sites as I can into my itinerary. I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures and their histories, which naturally puts places like Athens and Santorini on my list. Recently, I've been reading up on Delphi and am intrigued by its significant historical and cultural value, not to mention its picturesque landscapes.

Given its status as the center of the world in ancient Greek civilization and the home of the famous oracle, it sounds like a place full of fascinating stories and ruins. However, I'm also aware that Greece is full of remarkable places to visit, each with its unique allure.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back