1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

This picture is from three summers ago when I was in Corfu enjoying the heat and the fresh food. Greek cafes have some of the freshest foods and some of the healthiest too! I can’t wait to go again and savor the flavors of the Mediterranean. Cheers everyone!

5340CE1B-A6B8-4941-90E1-83F02A715417.jpeg

Vangelis

Cheers! I love the food in Greece and Athens restaurants also offer a wide variety of healthy and fresh food. Here are some of my pics from around Athens:

IMG_20190612_133517.jpg
IMG_20190608_125137.jpg
IMG_20190609_130910.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
WOW, these photos are great (I miss the amazing food in Greece!)

Here are a few food photos from a few years ago, last time I was in Greece:

greek-seafood2-720x540.jpeg

greek-seafood-3-720x540 (3).jpeg

greggd12

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Compiling a List of Fasting Recipes and Foods

So, I am slowly figuring out what my fasting style is going to be. I am going to start by fasting on Fridays. I am putting together a list of foods I can have during fasting days. I decided to do completely vegan this one day a week. Here is my list of foods:

- Lentils and rice
- Lentil soup
- Anything with chickpeas
- Salads dressed with lemon juice or vinegar (if it is a no oil day)
- Breads - I am going to shoot for multigrain on fasting days
- Lots of vegetables in general
- Occasionally eat fruit

What do you guys do?

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter