1 - 5 of 5 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

This is one of my favourite things to make during Christmas because I don't like desserts that are super sweet. This bread is so tasty and kind of reminds me of tsoureki. The bread is super aromatic and has a great blend of spices that will make your house smell excellent when baking it! The recipe is pretty easy and I like to follow along using YouTube video so that I can see exactly what the baker is doing. Let me know if you like this one!

Reactions: knicks_fan87
I have never made this bread, but I do enjoy eating it. It tastes a bit like tsoureki to me, but that could be because of the spice used? I am not all that confident in my bread-making skills, so I am nervous to try making it, but this recipe does look pretty straightforward. It looks delicious, though!

Reactions: knicks_fan87
I have never made this bread, but I do enjoy eating it. It tastes a bit like tsoureki to me, but that could be because of the spice used? I am not all that confident in my bread-making skills, so I am nervous to try making it, but this recipe does look pretty straightforward. It looks delicious, though!
It definitely takes some practice. Once you do it once or twice, you will know how to get the texture right. With bread, sometimes you don't always need to follow the recipe because different brands of flour or butter for example will create different consistencies. I follow the recipe but I always add a little extra flour or water if I see that its too runny or thick.

I have some family memories of making this bread. I agree that it is tricky to get the texture right, but after making it a few times, you get a feel for how the dough is supposed to feel.

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

How does this fasolada recipe look?

Does anyone have any idea if the ingredients list in this fasolada recipe looks good? I want to make it soon - seems like a good lenten meal to me.

• 1 cup dried white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Optional: lemon wedges for serving

I am questioning the lemon and the garlic - I never put both lemon and garlic together. Also, I have never used stock before, I usually put tomato paste in it. But this recipe has diced tomatoes so I am questioning if the stock is necessary.

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

No Meat Dolmades (Stuffed Grape Leaves) Recipe

It has taken me a long time to get vegetarian dolmades to the point where I enjoy them. Here is my recipe. It uses a lot of oil, so strict fasters shouldn't eat them. But most people aren't super strict so I would even say these are good for lent!

Ingredients:​

• 1 jar of grape leaves (about 60-70 leaves)
  • 1 cup short-grain rice
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Water

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Grape Leaves:
    • If using grape leaves preserved in brine, rinse them well under cold water to remove excess salt. If using fresh grape leaves, blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute, then drain and rinse with cold water. Trim off any stems.
  2. Prepare the Filling:
    • In a large bowl, combine the rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped dill, chopped mint, chopped parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
  3. Fill and Roll the Grape Leaves:
    • Place a grape leaf flat on a clean work surface, shiny side down, with the stem end facing you. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the rice filling onto the center of the leaf, near the stem end.
    • Fold the bottom of the leaf over the filling, then fold in the sides, and roll tightly into a small cylinder.
    • Repeat with the remaining grape leaves and filling, arranging the rolled dolmades seam-side down in a large pot or deep skillet, packing them snugly together.
  4. Cook the Dolmades:
    • Once all the dolmades are rolled and packed in the pot, drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
    • Pour enough water into the pot to just cover the dolmades.
    • Place a heatproof plate or lid directly on top of the dolmades to keep them submerged during cooking.
    • Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer gently for about 45-60 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the grape leaves are tender.

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back