1 - 3 of 3 Posts

ssherie_

I really want to learn and understand about the Greek mythological stories and gods and goddesses... but I just realized that I have been missing the point somewhat. I think of this as literature. It wasn't to them. It was part of their every day lives and was their "religion".

I want to understand this mindset a little more because I think it will help me as I go through and lear about the stories, gods and goddesses, monsters, etc.

This, at the moment, feels overwhelming. Do you guys have any advice as to how I can approach it?

Reactions: Laura48

amygdalE

I really want to learn and understand about the Greek mythological stories and gods and goddesses... but I just realized that I have been missing the point somewhat. I think of this as literature. It wasn't to them. It was part of their every day lives and was their "religion".

I want to understand this mindset a little more because I think it will help me as I go through and lear about the stories, gods and goddesses, monsters, etc.

This, at the moment, feels overwhelming. Do you guys have any advice as to how I can approach it?
The big and eternal question for everybody to begin with; WHAT IS RELIGION? An old view: ti's a man's active relationship to a supernatural power which, I add, was personified. etc. Some such powers are destructvive, harmful. Response: seeking to propitiate it; begging to be spared, etc. Other powers are beneficial, thanked, etc., .... just as one is before a magnanimous king. // All in all, the operating gods come first; religion afterwards. Like myths, religions are elaborated and thus have their own history.

amygdalE

The big and eternal question for everybody to begin with; WHAT IS RELIGION? An old view: ti's a man's active relationship to a supernatural power which, I add, was personified. etc. Some such powers are destructvive, harmful. Response: seeking to propitiate it; begging to be spared, etc. Other powers are beneficial, thanked, etc., .... just as one is before a magnanimous king. // All in all, the operating gods come first; religion afterwards. Like myths, religions are elaborated and thus have their own history.
One necessary addition: after the personification of superhumanly powerful things and events [hence the gods], the ancients saw them as immortal, whereas humans are mortal. Typically the ancient Greeks, had the feeling of this tragic disparity and sought immortality. Hence the rise of various mystery [mysticism] religions, including the Eleusinian [...Kora and Dionysus... BREAD and WINE] Rites, which persist in the Orthodox and Catholic religions in the form of the Eucharist/Mass.

Last edited:

Information about Delos in Greek Mythology?

I am interested in visiting Delos. It's so fascinating! I love learning about Greek Mythology and I wonder if Delos has ties to Greek Mythology? This is a bit I found about Delos from the Wikipedia page:

Delos had a position as a holy sanctuary for a millennium before Olympian Greek Mythology made it the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. From its Sacred Harbour, the horizon shows the three conical mounds that have identified landscapes sacred to a goddess (it is predicted that the deity's name is Athena) - in other sites: one, retaining its Pre-Greek name Mount Synths (Mount Kynthos), is crowned with a sanctuary of Zeus.

Would love to learn more, if anyone can point me in the direction of some good resources!

List of Olympian Gods?

There are so many gods and goddesses of Greek Mythology I am trying to keep it all straight. There are 12 Olympians - some lists have different gods and goddesses listed. Does this look right?

1. Zues
2. Hera
3. Poseidon
4. Demeter
5. Athena
6. Apollo
7. Artemis
8. Ares
9. Aphrodite
10. Haphaestus
11. Hermes
12. Hestia

Some people put Dionysius... but that would make 13. What do you guys think?

ZEUS re-appraised

We know the many myths about him and we fear his thunderbolts, but now science reveals his benevolence. THUNDERSTORMS are needed by the rain forests and to prevent deserts. LIGHTNINGS change the air nitrogen into N oxides, needed for agriculture. THUNDERS , fill in........................

Did you know that you can book Greek mythology vacation packages?

I can't believe this even exists! But I'm so glad it does. This website offers vacation packages that are based on Greek mythology. If you've always wanted to go to famous places in Greek mythology, you definitely need to look into this. I've only been to a few locations on this list, but I definitely recommend Athens, Mount Olympus and Delphi for those that are interested in travelling through history and time while in Greece.

How old was Icarus when he died?

Hi everyone! I'm new here :). I'm trying to write a story about Daedalus and Icarus, but consulting several sources, I figured out none of them mentioned Icarus' age. In latin he is referred as "puer", which means a boy between 7-17 years old, so he surely is on the young side. I was just wondering if he was a pre-adolescent (12,13) or a bit older such as 15 or 16. It's a little difference, but it really influences the maturity of the kid. If anybody knows, any help would be very appreciated :))
ps: sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm actually italian lol
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube