1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

I loved watching Giannis throughout the playoffs and im so happy that he's getting the recognition he deserves!! And meeting with the prime minister, how cool :) I think it will be very helpful to have Giannis as a cultural ambassador to Greece in the US

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I loved watching Giannis throughout the playoffs and im so happy that he's getting the recognition he deserves!! And meeting with the prime minister, how cool :) I think it will be very helpful to have Giannis as a cultural ambassador to Greece in the US
Giannis Antetokounmpo (Greek freak) is a Greek national treasure, the best player in the NBA and (we have heard) a great person.

Here is more information about the meeting:

What lighting a candle means at a Greek church

In Greek church, we light candles and make a prayer. Its one of my favourite traditions. Candles are usually at the front of the church and you usually add a few coins or dollars in the box besides the candles to "pay" for the candles.

holy-thursday-720x480.jpg

Words that are difficult to translate from Greek to English

Φιλοξενία – Filoksenia: This is the idea of being generous and offering friendship (in a loving way) to a stranger or foreigner. This word does not exist in most other languages and is a big part of Greek Culture and expression.

Για πάρτη μου – Ya Parti Mou: Technically this phrase means “for me” and it is used to mean “treating yourself” well.

Φιλότιμο – Filotimo: This means honor and truth and friendship, and loyalty to one another.

Ever wonder what a traditional Cretan wedding is like?

Wonder no more! This is a stunning and super traditional Cretan wedding where the bride and groom are wearing traditional clothes (pretty rare these days). Enjoy!

Is it customary for people to convert to Orthodoxy when marrying someone Greek?

When I married my husband, I didn't convert and we had a non religious wedding, but I am sort of considering converting now. There are a lot of aspects about Orthodoxy that appeal to me now that we've been together for many years and Ive learned more about the religion. Plus, our kids are Greek Orthodox so I think it would be nice if we were all the same religion officially. I was raised loosely Catholic, so I haven't practiced in years. I'm wondering what other couples have done and if anyone has experience marrying someone of another religion.

How to dance tsifteteli (Greek bellydancing)!

I love these tutorials :) gotta start practicing for the Greek festivals next Sumer (hopefully I will be able to attend)

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter