1 - 4 of 4 Posts

blopez34

I am going to a dinner party where the hostess is gluten free. I thought I would try making this and bring it to her house. What do you guys think of it?

I have made regular moussaka with gluten, so I think I will be okay with this (I am kind of new at cooking Greek food).

I ate Gluten Free moussaka once and you know what it seemed like to me? That I was essentially eating moussaka topped with mashed potato, almost like a Greek shepherds pie. It was delicious and I didn't mind it, it was just different from what I expected. I think this might be a pretty common textural issue to think about with the GF version of this dish.

blopez34

I did end up cooking that recipe - it was pretty good but I know what you mean @GreekGirlCooks ... it had a texture I wasn't expecting. It was still good, though - everyone loved it!

k_tsoukalas

I did end up cooking that recipe - it was pretty good but I know what you mean @GreekGirlCooks ... it had a texture I wasn't expecting. It was still good, though - everyone loved it!
Would you make it again? Thanks for the feedback on the recipe!

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Good Greek Recipes for Fall

Summer is (sadly) behind us and now I am starting to experiment with some foods that seem more appropriate for this time of year. Since I am getting more comfortable working with phyllo I thought I would try pita with squash. I found this recipe a little bit ago:

Thought I would also try to make this:

I tend to like heavier food at this time of year.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of dishes I should try?

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter