1 - 1 of 1 Posts

dimi_pat

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.

Favorite Greek Cheeses?

I am fascinated by the variety of delicious cheeses. Of course, I love Feta - but even with Feta cheese there are some differences - even with the imported Feta I can find. When going to the Greek store near me I noticed here are so many cheeses I haven't tried yet (except for maybe at a restaurant, and I didn't rally pay attention when I was there).

I’d love to hear from you all – what’s your favorite Greek cheese variety and why? Whether it’s a cheese you like to eat on its own, use in recipes, or pair with wine, share your thoughts and experiences!

greek-cheese.jpg

Typical Greek Breakfast Foods?

I'm curious to learn more about Greek cuisine, specifically breakfast foods. What are some typical breakfast items that people in Greece enjoy? I've heard a bit about yogurt and honey, but I'd love to know more about other traditional options.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences or insights?

Looking forward to reading your responses and learning more. I am a Greek Canadian and I noticed while in Greece that they don't make a big deal of breakfast. Is it just a small meal eaten fast? I tend to eat bigger breakfasts.

Gluten Free Pastries in Greek Cooking?

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Ordering at a Greek taverna?

'm heading to Greece soon and can't wait to experience an authentic Greek taverna. I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to order and how to make the most of the experience.

Any recommendations on must-try dishes or drinks? Are there any customs or etiquette I should be aware of? I'd love to hear your tips on what to order, how to enjoy the meal, and any local secrets that can make my visit memorable.

Thanks in advance! I want to try to have a traditional experience there.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back