1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I am having a lot of guests over for Christmas and I want to serve a traditional Greek meal. I have the main course all set, I plan to serve roasted pork marinated with ladolemono, lemon potatoes, fasolakia, and Greek salad.

The appetizers, I need some help with deciding. I think I should select three dishes to serve - my options:

- Tiropita
- Spanakopita
- Dolmadakia
- Keftedes
- Marinated Greek olives

I mean leaning towards Tiropita, Keftedes, and Marinated olives. I am having about 15 people over. There will be a lot of food lol.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
I am having a lot of guests over for Christmas and I want to serve a traditional Greek meal. I have the main course all set, I plan to serve roasted pork marinated with ladolemono, lemon potatoes, fasolakia, and Greek salad.

The appetizers, I need some help with deciding. I think I should select three dishes to serve - my options:

- Tiropita
- Spanakopita
- Dolmadakia
- Keftedes
- Marinated Greek olives

I mean leaning towards Tiropita, Keftedes, and Marinated olives. I am having about 15 people over. There will be a lot of food lol.
You could always make a tzatziki which pairs wonderfully with pork, and can use it as a starter dio with pita chips. Or a spicy feta dip.

k_tsoukalas

I know Christmas is past but I would do a similar thing as Pemi - serve tzatziki and another type of dip. I love spicy feta dip, or even maybe hummus or the Fava dip?

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Cooking with Greek Saffron

A friend brought me back some saffron from Greece!

For the life of me, I don't actually remember seeing any Greek recipes with saffron. I want to use it authentically if possible.

Are there any ways of using it that are authentically Greek?

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube