1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

This was first posted on Nia Vardalos' instagram! I'm so excited to see the third movie and what the writers and actors have come up with. Of course, nothing is going to beat the original, which I absolutely love. But, it is nice to see Greeks on the big screen. What do you think? Are you excited?

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

Really looking forward to seeing it, the others are perfect gentle Sunday afternoon films. Knives Out 2 was filmed in Spetses, so really looking forward to that too.

Check out this basic Greek etiquette video

I'm not sure if I agree with all the points that have been made in the video, but I do think that Greeks have a very specific culture and etiquette amongst themselves that is not really known to outsiders. I've been to Greece a few times, and my understanding of the culture is pretty good. What I have noticed is that Greeks can be extremely hospitable, but I have happened upon some rude people as well. For the most part, it really depends on the person.

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!

The rise of historical Anatolian cuisine in Greece

Over the past few years, I've noticed more and more trendy Anatolian restaurants opening up. These restaurants feature historical food cooked by Greeks whose ancestors used to live in modern day Turkey. The cuisine is very similar to Greek food, but has a few twist such as the use of red pepper powder or paste from Aleppo. Some classic dishes include Smyrneika soutzoukakia and kebab. It's really nice to see that these Greek traditions are being revived for the modern Greeks to enjoy.

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Make sure you bring a dessert or small gift if youre invited to a Greek household

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter