1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Vangelis

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

800px-Gandhara_Buddha_%28tnm%29.jpeg

Reactions: Hash and greggd12

greggd12

Wow this is maybe one of the most surprising. things I have learned about Greece and Greek Culture!! We are so much more influenced of other cultures than we know, we should embrace it

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

Hash

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

Thank you

Sas Efgharisto polee for this, yasou apo mena from Thailand Vangelis,I have been searching for this information which I have read somewhere else in my books...and I have so many of them... especially about the beginnings of the statute and the fabulous artistic side of this!♥️

Below is an extract from your link that I just quickly read! Amazing reading!

Greek artists were most probably the authors of these early representations of the Buddha, in particular the standing statues, which display "a realistic treatment of the folds and on some even a hint of modelled volume that characterizes the best Greek work. This is Classical or Hellenistic Greek, not archaizing Greek transmitted by Persia or Bactria, nor distinctively Roman."[39]

The Greek stylistic influence on the representation of the Buddha, through its idealistic realism, also permitted a very accessible, understandable and attractive visualization of the ultimate state of enlightenment described by Buddhism, allowing it to reach a wider audience:

One of the distinguishing features of the Gandharan school of art that emerged in north-west India is that it has been clearly influenced by the naturalism of the Classical Greek style. Thus, while these images still convey the inner peace that results from putting the Buddha's doctrine into practice, they also give us an impression of people who walked and talked, etc. and slept much as we do. I feel this is very important. These figures are inspiring because they do not only depict the goal, but also the sense that people like us can achieve it if we try.
— 14th Dalai Lama[40]

JayJayT

Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!

Vangelis

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf

Reactions: cubrinj and Hash

Hash

Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!
I registered to have a chat on Zoom with Dalai Lama a few weeks ago, totally forgot about it 😂😂.... and I vaguely remember time difference too!...I would love to ask him directly,he has a great sense of humour,I have watched many of his conversations with various people around the world... good fun!.... Kalley Mera....let us develop this part of cultural heritage and how intertwined our beings have been for centuries!.

Hash

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf
Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!

cubrinj

Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!
Very interesting links @Vangelis. The role of devils advocate is very western and it makes me think how westerners always want concrete answers to questions. Sometimes we just don't know, and that's okay. The universe is the universe and not everything is black and white

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

The history of dressing for apokries (Greek carnival)

Apokries is the Greek carnival that happens right before Holy Lent, so it changes every year. It is sort of similar to Halloween....but not really. Comparing it to Halloween is really the best way to describe it to someone who is from a country that does not have this celebration. Dressing up in costumes is a practice that dates all the way back to Ancient Greece and was then incorporated to celebrate the Orthodox period before lent. Many different areas of Greece have specific costumes that people will usually dress up as. But for the most part, people can dress up as pretty much anything they want.

How many people know Ancient Greek?

As some of you may know, ancient Greek is taught in all public schools throughout Greece. Although, many people aren't actually able to speak modern Greek and communicate between each other because it is a dead language, similar to Latin. Greek people are taught how to write ancient Greek and they learn how modern Greek is derived from ancient Greek. As you can see in the video, many people don't actually remember much of it and it has actually been criticized that it is not so valuable as some educators may think. What are your thoughts?

What are the best Ancient Greek plays?

I've been wanting to get more and more into watching ancient Greek plays both online and hopefully in person when I get to visit Greece. Does anyone have any advice on some good intro ancient plays to watch? And may be any advice on where I can watch these online? I know that some of them may be done by English-speaking actors and some may be done by Greek speaking actors, with English subtitles. Those are my two preferences of course, as I don't speak Greek. I'm not a super big fan of watching movies, and I've always been into theatre from when I was a small child. Thanks everyone

What is the history behind the split of the Catholic and Orthodox Church?

I rarely hear people talk about the split between the Orthodox and Catholic Church. What exactly led to the split, historically speaking. And how did the two different churches come to be? I’ve always admired how Greek orthodoxy has such deep historical roots, and how Orthodoxy has been governed mainly by Greeks for so many years. If anyone knows a bit of backstory, please let me know. There is a bit of conflicting information online.

The most famous byzantine style buildings!

Byzantine architecture is one of the hallmarks of Greek buildings, especially churches and holy sites. Some of the most famous Byzantine style buildings include the Hagia Sophia (of course), Hagia Irene, Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica, and the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian. These buildings have striking Byzantine architecture with beautiful domes on top and ornate designs inside. I can't wait to visit one day.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter