1 - 7 of 7 Posts

nadellii

Many may think that the Olympics is one of Greece’s most important historical moments about sports. But for those soccer fans and Greeks, you know that Greece winning the 2004 Euro cup was perhaps one of the most unexpected and important moments of sports culture in Greece. Greece was considered an underdog, and no one would ever think that they would win the euro, which is what made the win so sweet. I hope to one day see Greece over come all the odds and have a win like that again.

• Love
Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
This is so true! I remember what a big thing this was in 2004, thanks for sharing this video! 🇬🇷🇬🇷

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Many may think that the Olympics is one of Greece’s most important historical moments about sports. But for those soccer fans and Greeks, you know that Greece winning the 2004 Euro cup was perhaps one of the most unexpected and important moments of sports culture in Greece. Greece was considered an underdog, and no one would ever think that they would win the euro, which is what made the win so sweet. I hope to one day see Greece over come all the odds and have a win like that again.
Just picture this!!!...I had taken some time out as I was tired from working....so I decided to help out with peeling onions, carrots,and all kinds of Vegetables for Taverna Vangelis in Mykonos 😂😂 outside the Taverna in Platia Ano Mera.....and wait for it....who comes for Volta in Platia Ano Mera?.....The whole Football Team!!!!...The Phedhia sat with me for a few minutes and we had a good time together..😂😂👍👍👍

greek_ggirl

Just picture this!!!...I had taken some time out as I was tired from working....so I decided to help out with peeling onions, carrots,and all kinds of Vegetables for Taverna Vangelis in Mykonos 😂😂 outside the Taverna in Platia Ano Mera.....and wait for it....who comes for Volta in Platia Ano Mera?.....The whole Football Team!!!!...The Phedhia sat with me for a few minutes and we had a good time together..😂😂👍👍👍
What an amazing story!! Was this in the early 2000's??? Meaning, was it this team???

Hash

Yes,it was this team!🤗🤗.... Terrific time celebrating all this and Olympic Games.... what an year!♥️♥️....An unbelievable atmosphere!
What an amazing story!! Was this in the early 2000's??? Meaning, was it this team???

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Yes,it was this team!🤗🤗.... Terrific time celebrating all this and Olympic Games.... what an year!♥️♥️....An unbelievable atmosphere!
What an amazing experience!!! My husband is so jealous!!!

lalajess

I remember this. I was in Europe while this was going on, and by chance I had decided to eat in a Greek restaurant that day. I didn't realize the game was on! Saw the last half of the game, and then joined the party while everyone was celebrating. I wasn't a football fan then, but I became one after that. I would love to see Greece win again!

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Celebrating Greek Name Days

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube