1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nm1999

I love Greek yogurt and I thought I would make a list of Greek foods that use it. I also love to serve either yogurt or tzatziki, with a variety of different Greek foods.

Here are the dishes:
  • Tzatziki
  • The yogurt, honey, walnut breakfast/dessert
  • Some versions of kopanisti (not sure I agree with this)
  • Some versions of spanakopita - I really do know some Greeks who do this, but I didn't realize people did this
  • There is a creamy pasta dish that uses Greek yogurt
Can you think of any others? The pasta dish, especially, is quick and easy. I find that dishes that involve Greek yogurt are usually pretty simple.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
I love Greek yogurt and I thought I would make a list of Greek foods that use it. I also love to serve either yogurt or tzatziki, with a variety of different Greek foods.

Here are the dishes:
  • Tzatziki
  • The yogurt, honey, walnut breakfast/dessert
  • Some versions of kopanisti (not sure I agree with this)
  • Some versions of spanakopita - I really do know some Greeks who do this, but I didn't realize people did this
  • There is a creamy pasta dish that uses Greek yogurt
Can you think of any others? The pasta dish, especially, is quick and easy. I find that dishes that involve Greek yogurt are usually pretty simple.
Hi nm1999,

I love Greek yogurt, and I love using it in my cooking. I love a yogurt cake that’s drench in honey syrup, also greek yogurt ice cream with sour cherry spoon sweet on the top (to die for). As for savory cooking, there are plenty of pasta dishes you can use greek yogurt. Even pastitsio or mousaka can be made with a Greek yogurt sauce instead of bechamel sauce for a lighter version. You can add greek yogurt in Tiropita as well.

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

Quick Greek-style pasta dishes?

Last time I was in Greece I ate a lot of pasta dishes. It seems like a common dish for every day cuisine. I had a version with Greek yogurt - I would love to learn how to make it! I also had something with an egg on it, someone told me it was from Mani? Does anyone know anything about these dishes? What other pasta dishes do Greeks eat?

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube