1 - 3 of 3 Posts

d_kakavouli

I recently had Greek fish soup at someone's house and I realized that I want to learn how to make it for myself. She did give me a recipe, but I am wondering if you guys have some tips. Here is her ingredients list:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, cleaned and chopped
  • 2 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 10 cups water
  • 2 potatoes, chopped
  • 1 pound white fish
  • 1 cup small pasta like orzo
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • lemon juice, for serving

I am not super attached to making her version, but those of you who have cooked it, can you take a look at the ingredients and let me know if you have anything to add or subtract? Would seasoning with a bit of saffron taste good in this dish? I have some gorgeous saffron from Greece.

Reactions: Hash

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
The ingredient list looks solid. You could add parsley to add a nice aroma. Some also add bay leaf.

Linda554

Instead of just water, I would add a couple of chicken or vegetable broth cubes.

How to Make Soutzoukakia?

I recently had soutzoukakia and I loved it! They seemed similar to Keftedes meatballs but they were shaped differently, and I couldn't tell but they may have been grilled?

Does anyone know how to make these? I was just going to make my regular meatball recipe and put it on a stick and cook it on the grill. I didn't know if there was more to it than that!

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube