1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Souvlaki

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii

Vangelis

You need μέσον. Someone on the "inside" that can help fast track things. This is the only way I was able to get my passport from the Greek embassy in Melbourne many years ago.

But I have since realised that I don't need a Greek passport. I use by Australian passport to get to Greece and from there I can use my Greek citizenship card to get anywhere in Europe.

So ask yourself, do you really need a passport if you have your Greek identity card?

Souvlaki

Since I've never lived in Greece, I never had a Greek ID card so it's going to be a problem I guess. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the inside to help me out with the embassy over here. My Father always told me I've experienced nothing in life until I've had a taste of Greek bureaucracy lol.

Last edited:

nadellii

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?

Souvlaki

I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?
I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.

nadellii

I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.
Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.

Souvlaki

Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.
Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.
I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.

Souvlaki

I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.
I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.

Souvlaki

Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.
Thanks! They obviously do not want to help and my family and I have decided why even bother if this is how the Government treats its own citizens.

Last edited:

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

Greek Government Tradition of not being helpful, so how does one move ahead?

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter