1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Souvlaki

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii

Vangelis

You need μέσον. Someone on the "inside" that can help fast track things. This is the only way I was able to get my passport from the Greek embassy in Melbourne many years ago.

But I have since realised that I don't need a Greek passport. I use by Australian passport to get to Greece and from there I can use my Greek citizenship card to get anywhere in Europe.

So ask yourself, do you really need a passport if you have your Greek identity card?

Souvlaki

Since I've never lived in Greece, I never had a Greek ID card so it's going to be a problem I guess. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the inside to help me out with the embassy over here. My Father always told me I've experienced nothing in life until I've had a taste of Greek bureaucracy lol.

Last edited:

nadellii

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?

Souvlaki

I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?
I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.

nadellii

I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.
Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.

Souvlaki

Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.
Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.
I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.

Souvlaki

I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.
I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.

Souvlaki

Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.
Thanks! They obviously do not want to help and my family and I have decided why even bother if this is how the Government treats its own citizens.

Last edited:

Tips for Learning Greek While in Greece?

Now that I am getting older, I realize how important my Greek heritage is. So, I've made it my mission to learn more about it. One of the things I want to do is get better at Greek. And sure, I know I can use language programs - but it seems to me that learning it while in the country might be a little easier. I know that a 2 or 3 week trip won't make me fluent, but I bet it can give me a really good head start. Do you guys have any tips for how I can immerse myself in the Greek language while I am in the country?

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube