1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Souvlaki

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii

Vangelis

You need μέσον. Someone on the "inside" that can help fast track things. This is the only way I was able to get my passport from the Greek embassy in Melbourne many years ago.

But I have since realised that I don't need a Greek passport. I use by Australian passport to get to Greece and from there I can use my Greek citizenship card to get anywhere in Europe.

So ask yourself, do you really need a passport if you have your Greek identity card?

Souvlaki

Since I've never lived in Greece, I never had a Greek ID card so it's going to be a problem I guess. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the inside to help me out with the embassy over here. My Father always told me I've experienced nothing in life until I've had a taste of Greek bureaucracy lol.

Last edited:

nadellii

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?

Souvlaki

I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?
I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.

nadellii

I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.
Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.

Souvlaki

Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.
Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.
I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.

Souvlaki

I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.
I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.

Souvlaki

Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.
Thanks! They obviously do not want to help and my family and I have decided why even bother if this is how the Government treats its own citizens.

Last edited:

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube