1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.
This looks gorgeous. I’m vegan so would go with dairy free alternatives to the butter and cheese.

I tend to use a recipe by The Dirty Vegan for sweetcorn ribs, cobs cut into quarters, slathered in smoky chilli ingredients and popped under the grill. I could eat it by the bucketful.

k_tsoukalas

I like to brush the corn with olive oil, rub a whole garlic clove all over it (to get the garlic flavor) and sprinkle it with salt and pepper and then grill. Then, sprinkle it with finely chopped feta or some grated kefalotiri when it comes off the grill and maybe some more olive oil. YUM!

Reactions: Laura48

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?

Greek Thanksgiving "Stuffing" Recipe?

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I am trying to track down a recipe. I had a Greek friend verbally describe what this is, but I need a recipe to follow if someone can help me out. His family recipe involves:
  • Onion
  • Ground beef
  • Rice
  • Water or broth
  • All spice, cinnamon, oregano (I thought he said oregano but I am not 100%)
  • Roasted chestnuts
I think maybe I can guess that the onion is sautéed, the ground beef needs to be browned, the rice is stirred in and water or broth is added, and the chestnuts are roasted separately and stirred in at the end?

Thanks for your help! I am learning that Greek cooks have most of their recipes in their brains.

Recipes list for Greek holiday cooking

I want to experiment making some traditional Greek dishes over the holidays. While I am learning how to cook Greek foods, I am also getting to know the culture. So, what do people typical cook during this time of year? I have done some research and made a quick list:

** There's a Greek "stuffing" type of thing that involves chestnuts to serve at Thanksgiving - I am having a tough time tracking down a recipe

** Melamakarona - the Greek Christmas cookie

** Other Greek desserts seem pretty common this time of year, too - baklava, koulourakia, kourabedies

** Braised lamb shank - Greeks in the United States, from what I can tell, tend to cook Turkey - but this lamb shank recipe has come up as an option for Christmas dinner

Did I miss anything? I was thinking of making the Melemakarona cookies, and maybe learning how to make lamb shake and that "stuffing" (if I can find the recipe). I will do some other things if I have time, but these are the main ones.

Briam Greek Roasted Vegetables Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorites elements of Greek cooking is the wealth of hearty vegetable dishes, and this Briam recipe is an absolute classic. It is filled with flavor, and you can either serve this as a side dish or a meal when served with feta cheese and bread. The Cooking Greek cookbook has a great version of it and has a classic combination of ingredients, like eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes. It's an easy dish to put together and I like to make a big pan of it and eat it over the course of a few days.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

briam-recipe.jpg

Souvlaki Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Souvlaki is one of my favorite dishes to make (and eat)! At home, I tend to make it with boneless chicken breast, but when I go out I tend to order pork. I like to marinate the meat for at least a few hours, but I have found that overnight is best. Once it's done marinating, I add pepper and onion chunks to the skewers for extra flavor. Occasionally, I make them without the vegetables, but that is only if I don't have any on hand. The recipe from the Cooking Greek cookbook is almost identical to my method.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

pork-souvlaki-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube