1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

Mussels are one of the those dishes that should stay pretty simple in my opinion. Their flavor is so strong that I don't want to mess it up. I add olive oil to a large pan and put the stove on medium heat. I add one yellow onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. I cook this down for 5 minutes and then add the washed mussels. I pour some cheap but tasty Greek white wine over the mussels, add cherry tomatoes and cover. I cook everything for 5 minutes only, overcooking will make the mussels rubbery. If some mussels don't open, throw them away, it means they aren't good. Add to a bowl and toss with parsley and feta cheese. Enjoy!

mussels-saganaki-recipe-720x480.jpg

Reactions: Vangelis

k_tsoukalas

This looks delicious! I used to overcook my mussels and they were gross that way. I feared that 5 minutes wasn't enough, but as it turns out, mussels don't take long to cook and they taste better this way.

What desserts are served at Greek weddings?

Are there any desserts that are specific to Greek weddings? I’m going to a Greek wedding this summer and I would love to know waht tasty treats are on the menu so I know what to look forward to! 😋

Soft and tender Greek lamb shank

I love making this tender lamb shank anytime I have a special occasion. While you can cook lamb shake in many different ways, I like to go sit in the oven just until the outside gets a nice darker color and some of the fat renders off. Of course, you should always serve this with either rice or potatos.

B72401EC-7AB7-44FB-8A89-6D27D4EBC3EC.jpeg

What should I put in my Greek seasoning blend?

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How long can you store phyllo in the freezer for?

I've been stocking up on phyllo from the Greek supermarket for quite some time… about six months in the freezer. How long will it stay fresh for? And when will I need to use it by? If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it.

How to spruce up your leftover keftedes!

I always find myself having leftover meatballs or keftedes need a bit of sprucing up the next day. What I like to do is make a tomato sauce with wine, and heat up the meatballs with the sauce so that they soak it up and don't stay dry. This is the recipe for the sauce

- sauté one onion and two garlic cloves with olive oil
- add half a jar of tomato paste
-add cumin, black pepper, ground clove and basil
-after all the spices have been cooked, add one cup of red wine
-once the wine is bubbling, add one jar of tomato sauce
-cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter