1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greggd12

There are so many Greek snacks that you could bring on your trips and road trips this summer! The first one that I recommend is spanakopita of course. This is a classic and will never disappoint. Other types of pitas are great as well such as tiropita and kreatopita. For sweet snacks I recommend pasteli, papadopoulos cookies and rice pudding. You can buy all of these on the go in Greece if you're on a road trip in Crete or on the mainland and you can also make them at home to bring along.

There are so many Greek snacks that you could bring on your trips and road trips this summer! The first one that I recommend is spanakopita of course. This is a classic and will never disappoint. Other types of pitas are great as well such as tiropita and kreatopita. For sweet snacks I recommend pasteli, papadopoulos cookies and rice pudding. You can buy all of these on the go in Greece if you're on a road trip in Crete or on the mainland and you can also make them at home to bring along.
Pita is my favorite thing to bring along since it is so portable. I also love bringing tzatziki and bread or breadsticks...

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Thoughts on how to create a meze platter?

I want to lay out some meze for my next party. What do you guys think should go in it? Some thoughts:

• A variety of different Greek olives.
  • Feta cheese, and maybe one other firm Greek cheese - what should I put here?
  • Stuffed grapeleaves
  • Pitakia
  • Bread and oil for dipping
  • Perhaps some tzatziki?
Interested to hear your advice on this. The party is about in two weeks so I have plenty of time.

greek-meze.jpg

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg

Different Types of Feta Cheese?

Whenever I buy feta cheese from different places, it tastes slightly different. Does anyone know why? I know that there are specific rules for creating feta cheese, so what is responsible for his differential in flavor and texture?

Is it possible that a place (for example a restaurant) may not actually be buying "Greek" feta? Meaning, could it be a situation where they aren't following the rules and are making a feta-like cheese using different milks, etc? Perhaps it isn't from Greece?

I truly only like Greek feta as far as I know. How can the other places call it feta if they're not following the rules?

greek-feta-cheese.jpg

Greek Lenten Foods?

Lent is coming up. I find myself planning for fasting... I tend to cut out meat and dairy, and then I obey a strict fast during Holy Week.

I would like recommendations on Greek lenten foods. I'm particularly interested in dishes that are traditionally consumed during this period, which abstain from meat and dairy products. I'd love to learn not just about the types of dishes but also a bit about the significance or history behind them if you happen to know.

Any recipes, cooking tips, or even restaurant suggestions where I can find authentic Greek lenten dishes would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited to broaden my culinary horizons and perhaps incorporate some of these traditions into my own practices.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back