3. Sit wherever you want
4. "Spit" on the couple
5. There will be a lot of kisses, hugs and wishes
6. So much food, so little stomach space
7. Be prepared for the interrogation if you're single
8. Drink alcohol...and water!!
9. Bring a pair of comfortable shoes along
10. Just have fun

In my experience people dress pretty casual for Greek weddings...depending on the venue that is. If the wedding is outdoors and in the summer (which many usually are) I find that Greeks dress pretty casual in comparison to weddings in the US and Canada

ellinasgolfer0320

If you're in Greece, then people dress casual. If you're in the USA, for example, then dress how you're told on the wedding invitations.

Don't talk about the bride's dress - this is will give the bride the mati (bad luck)

If you're in Greece then don't enter the church until the couple enters first (you'll follow behind them)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great and funny list LOL!

Here is some actual information about the traditions surrounding Greek Orthodox weddings:

lalajess

Ha ha about number 6... So much food... maybe that is why Greek wedding celebrations go on so long! It gives us a chance to enjoy more of the food. :D This is an excellent list, by the way.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Ha ha about number 6... So much food... maybe that is why Greek wedding celebrations go on so long! It gives us a chance to enjoy more of the food. :D This is an excellent list, by the way.
I went to a wedding in Crete and had some great gamopilafo, which is a traditional Cretan wedding rice pilaf

lalajess

I went to a wedding in Crete and had some great gamopilafo, which is a traditional Cretan wedding rice pilaf
I have never had that dish, but I have heard that it is delicious. Do you remember what was in it?

seleanor

Reactions: nadellii

lalajess

Reactions: nadellii

k_tsoukalas

lalajess

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

lalajess

Greek weddings are sooo much fun. All the dancing and delicious food - it's definitely a glorious celebration. I have been to casual Greek weddings and I've also dressed to the nines. I think a lot depends on what the bride and groom decide for the dress code.

Learning About Greek Orthodox Religion

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

Should I Bring Something to a Greek-Australian Dinner Party?

I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?

Resources for Learning Greek Before Your Trip to Greece

It really does enhance your experience to learn some Greek, or brush up on your existing Greek, before you visit. I thought I would put together a list of some of the best resources I have found - they're all free.

- Duolingo has Greek now - I am not sure how effective it is, but it is free and that alone makes it worth checking out.
- Easy Greek on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/EasyGreekVideos - they have a lot of great content - I love how they interview people on the street
- Podcasts - There are plenty of learn Greek podcasts on both Spotify and through Apple and they are all worth checking out - For example, Easy Greek also has a podcast and there's a good one called "It's All Greek to Me". There are a lot of others.

In addition, you can check out various language programs (these aren't free). I like Pimsleur for conversational Greek, Rosetta Stone is pretty good, Mango, and there are others but those are the ones I have tried.

Which language programs have you used for Greek, and what were your results?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter