1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mastichas09

Greeks don't celebrate halloween like they do in the US and around the world. Greeks have another holidays called "apokries" which is celebrated ten weeks before Greek Orthodox Easter. Everybody dresses up in costumes and there is usually a parade in the street. So don't expect to see much on October 31, even though there are some western celebrations now a days.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great point! There is no halloween (like the US) in Greece. I would compare apokries in Greece to be a bit more like mardis gras than Halloween.

Here is a bit more information to check out:

Words that are difficult to translate from Greek to English

Φιλοξενία – Filoksenia: This is the idea of being generous and offering friendship (in a loving way) to a stranger or foreigner. This word does not exist in most other languages and is a big part of Greek Culture and expression.

Για πάρτη μου – Ya Parti Mou: Technically this phrase means “for me” and it is used to mean “treating yourself” well.

Φιλότιμο – Filotimo: This means honor and truth and friendship, and loyalty to one another.

Play this Greek holiday playlist for your upcoming gatherings

I love festive music 🎶 🎄 This playlist covers all of the most popular Greek Christmas songs

Ever wonder what a traditional Cretan wedding is like?

Wonder no more! This is a stunning and super traditional Cretan wedding where the bride and groom are wearing traditional clothes (pretty rare these days). Enjoy!

Oxi day is coming up soon! How are you all celebrating?

This is one of the most historical Greek holidays that I admire so much! How is everyone celebrating? :) Happy almost Oxi day

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter