1 - 6 of 6 Posts

francescool

One big part of Greek Culture is communication. My family is Italian, so I totally get it. Now that I'm in Greece, I'm reminded of how passionate and loud Greeks are. I love and appreciate this fact and I hope everyone else does to. Don't be alarmed or taken aback if someone communicates differently than you, just take it in stride and learn to appreciate it :)

ellinasgolfer0320

Some things Greeks do is

1. They stick their tongue to the front of the roof ot their mouth, create a suction and pull down - it will create a sound, and I don't remember the name of the sound in English. If you ask a Greek a question and you hear them make that noise then it means "no".

2. If a Greek raises their head the way we say "what's up?" Then it also means "no"

3. A common hand sign for the word elegant is to raise your hand in front of you with your palm pointed up, pull your hand down while touching all of your fingers together at the same time.

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

It's crazy that the same gesture for what's up is also no. It's all about the context!! Those who are newer to the language like me need to pay a little bit more attention to catch on to smaller gestures like these
Some things Greeks do is

1. They stick their tongue to the front of the roof ot their mouth, create a suction and pull down - it will create a sound, and I don't remember the name of the sound in English. If you ask a Greek a question and you hear them make that noise then it means "no".

2. If a Greek raises their head the way we say "what's up?" Then it also means "no"

3. A common hand sign for the word elegant is to raise your hand in front of you with your palm pointed up, pull your hand down while touching all of your fingers together at the same time.

ellinasgolfer0320

It's crazy that the same gesture for what's up is also no. It's all about the context!! Those who are newer to the language like me need to pay a little bit more attention to catch on to smaller gestures like these
Yea, this is not something widely known outside of Greece. Another thing to pay attention to is someone flashing their headlights at you when you're waiting at a crosswalk. In the USA if someone flashes their headlights at you then the driver is telling you to go, but in Greece it means "I'm coming through". Good way to get hit at a crosswalk if you don't know what it means in Greece.

Reactions: ssherie_

ssherie_

Yea, this is not something widely known outside of Greece. Another thing to pay attention to is someone flashing their headlights at you when you're waiting at a crosswalk. In the USA if someone flashes their headlights at you then the driver is telling you to go, but in Greece it means "I'm coming through". Good way to get hit at a crosswalk if you don't know what it means in Greece.
First time I've seen a potentially life saving tip on a travel/culture forum! Wow, I will definitely try to remember this tip. Another thing I've noticed is that in Greece when a car is going to stop, pull over, or slow down they put their hazards on, not something I really see in Canada a whole lot.

k_tsoukalas

One big part of Greek Culture is communication. My family is Italian, so I totally get it. Now that I'm in Greece, I'm reminded of how passionate and loud Greeks are. I love and appreciate this fact and I hope everyone else does to. Don't be alarmed or taken aback if someone communicates differently than you, just take it in stride and learn to appreciate it :)

Greeks are definitely passionate. I notice similarities between the Greeks and Italians when I am in Italy, as well. In fact, when in Europe I often get mistaken for an Italian. lol

Oxi day is coming up soon! How are you all celebrating?

This is one of the most historical Greek holidays that I admire so much! How is everyone celebrating? :) Happy almost Oxi day

What do Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving?

This question is out of pure curiotisty! What do my fellow Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving? Do you eat turkey? Do you even celebrate?

What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

I know its a little early (Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived yet) but Im already too excited and preparing for Christmas!! What are your favorite Greek Christmas traditions?? :)

This is what a Greek Pontian wedding precession looks like!

I love seeing all of the different cultural traditions that exist in Greece! So beautiful

Check out Pentozali, the traditional dance of Crete

Pentozali is such a unique and beautiful dance. It is very traditional, and requires a decent amount of skill (especially if you want to do the tricks that you see in the video)

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter