1 - 4 of 4 Posts

amygdalE

There are ethnic customs, beliefs, and other "cultural items" that are preserved within the culture that produced them, wherefore they are presently TRADITIONS. On the other hand, cultual items can be exported (or can be adopted by a foreign ethnic people). So, a given country or people may have a mixture of aboriginal culture and adopted [e.g., Greek] culture. What is adopted is somebody else's aboriginal culture. HANNUKAH is a festivity that Jews around the world celebrate/enact in December, more or less before Christmas. The specific form of the celebration (words aside) was invented by them; it is Jewish aboriginally: A tray with seven oil lamps, or a clay tray shaped with seven cups to serve as oil lamps, or a metallic candelabrum that holds seven candles [a menorah] is lit in successive evenings. In more recent times, the number of luminaries [lucernae in Medieval Christian temples at night] was changed to nine, because they explained the lighting ritual as the celebration of nine Biblical patriarchs,while explaining the whole festivity [Feast of Lights] --Hannukah -- by an ancient miracle: a lamp kept on burning in the temple, even hough it had run out of oil. Well, in ancient times, migrating Dorians settled in the region called Palestine, where they kept their tradition of celebrating their seven planetary gods (natural luminaries), In effect, they instituted the holy WEEK: the day of the moon/Artemis, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, Chronos, Sun/Apollon (named differently in Latin). The Hebrews recognized only one God [Zeus/Yahweh] but kept the idea of the Week. I say: They thought of the seven days of creation, that is, six days of work, and on day of rest, the Shabat, devoted to Yahweh. Hannukah was originally the feast of creation, not of lights or of the Hebrew patriarchs. [The Christian "Holy week" is nominally derived from the Dorian Week, Ebdomas, but at least in the Latin liturgy I know of, only on one day, Holy Thurday, creation is celebrated by reading the Biblical account, Genesis, in church.] It must have been the same Dorians that built Zion, the temple of Zeus on one of the hills of Jerusalem, later rededicated by Solomon. Dorian works: the temple of Zeus at Dodona. The statue of the solar Apollo at Rhodes..... {The number "Seven" became a magical or lucky number.}

Last edited:

dubai_suzie

There are ethnic customs, beliefs, and other "cultural items" that are preserved within the culture that produced them, wherefore they are presently TRADITIONS. On the other hand, cultual items can be exported (or can be adopted by a foreign ethnic people). So, a given country or people may have a mixture of aboriginal culture and adopted [e.g., Greek] culture. What is adopted is somebody else's aboriginal culture. HANNUKAH is a festivity that Jews around the world celebrate/enact in December, more or less before Christmas. The specific form of the celebration (words aside) was invented by them; it is Jewish aboriginally: A tray with seven oil lamps, or a clay tray shaped with seven cups to serve as oil lamps, or a metallic candelabrum that holds seven candles [a menorah] is lit in successive evenings. In more recent times, the number of luminaries [lucernae in Medieval Christian temples at night] was changed to nine, because they explained the lighting ritual as the celebration of nine Biblical patriarchs,while explaining the whole festivity [Feast of Lights] --Hannukah -- by an ancient miracle: a lamp kept on burning in the temple, even hough it had run out of oil. Well, in ancient times, migrating Dorians settled in the region called Palestine, where they kept their tradition of celebrating their seven planetary gods (natural luminaries), In effect, they instituted the holy WEEK: the day of the moon/Artemis, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, Chronos, Sun/Apollon (named differently in Latin). The Hebrews recognized only one God [Zeus/Yahweh] but kept the idea of the Week. I say: They thought of the seven days of creation, that is, six days of work, and on day of rest, the Shabat, devoted to Yahweh. Hannukah was originally the feast of creation, not of lights or of the Hebrew patriarchs. [The Christian "Holy week" is nominally derived from the Dorian Week, Ebdomas, but at least in the Latin liturgy I know of, only on one day, Holy Thurday, creation is celebrated by reading the Biblical account, Genesis, in church.] It must have been the same Dorians that built Zion, the temple of Zeus on one of the hills of Jerusalem, later rededicated by Solomon. Dorian works: the temple of Zeus at Dodona. The statue of the solar Apollo at Rhodes..... {The number "Seven" became a magical or lucky number.}
So interesting how all of these traditions are related. Many forget that there are Greeks of many different religions, and we should always be united and appreciative of all of our cultures and traditions

Hash

What a wonderful contribution here...I wish I could add more here but all my books, and I have tons of them are still in Mykonos... Thank you kindly for informative and inspiring reading!

Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

What a wonderful contribution here...I wish I could add more here but all my books, and I have tons of them are still in Mykonos... Thank you kindly for informative and inspiring reading!
Do you remember names of books that any that you can recommend??

A Greek New Years Eve Celebration!

This is what a beautiful New Years Eve celebration looks like in Greece! This show always Play some of the best Greek holiday music ever! I always have it in the background when I'm cooking and preparing for my New Year's and Christmas celebrations. I hope you enjoy it 😊

What are your favorite Greek news websites?

I’ve been wanting to stay caught up with a Greek and use for sometime now, but I don’t have really good access to Greek TV through cable or through my smart TV. I usually like to watch on YouTube or on the websites directly. Can anyone recommend me a Greek news channels that posts on the internet that have really good journalism? I like to have a new perspective and keep up with what’s going on in Greece in Europe. Thanks so much everyone! Happy new year!

Greece wins 2004 Euro Cup! One of the most important moments in Greece sports history

Many may think that the Olympics is one of Greece’s most important historical moments about sports. But for those soccer fans and Greeks, you know that Greece winning the 2004 Euro cup was perhaps one of the most unexpected and important moments of sports culture in Greece. Greece was considered an underdog, and no one would ever think that they would win the euro, which is what made the win so sweet. I hope to one day see Greece over come all the odds and have a win like that again.

Did you know about the Greek New Years pomegranate tradition?

This is one of Greece's most beautiful traditions that is rooted in Ancient and modern traditions. The pomegranate is the symbol of good fortune, fertility and luck which is why it is associated with New Years. One of the Greek customs that people do on New Years is taking a pomegranate and breaking it open by throwing it outside of your house on New Years day. If you throw it hard enough and it opens on the fist try, it will bring the most luck to you and your family in the New Year!

Have you ever wondered what the evaluation of languages looked like?

This image is amazing....I always knew that languages came from each other but I never had it visualized. Kudos to the amazing designer who made this image! As we all know, the Greek language provided the basis for many alphabets and languages around the world. Nonetheless, Greece is unlike any language that exists today and it not based on any other languages like Romance Languages for example (Spanish, Italian, etc.). If anyone has other language resources, please feel free to share with me :)

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter