1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greggd12

Has anyone on this forum gotten baptized as an adult? I would love to learn more about the experience and what it has been like for everyone. I know everyone's religious journey can be different and their reasons for getting baptized vary. Many people that I have met have gotten baptized in order to marry their significant other while others have fallen in love with the Greek orthodox religion. This is something I am considering but I am not fully sure about which direction I want to go in and would love to hear from others before I make this next big step.

Sandyrigo

Yes, both my son-in-law and I got baptized in the G.O.C. It was full out dunking for me, similar to the scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. When our kids were born, we knew we wanted to raise them Christian but we’re unsure of which church to commit to. After several discussions with different clergy, we selected the GOC near our house. I converted after 10 years of marriage and my oldest was 4. We then got remarried in the GOC.

k_tsoukalas

I was baptized as an infant, but I love hearing people's stories of converting. Thank you for sharing!

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

Here is an overview of the beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church

Of course, there are many variations as to what every individual Greek Orthodox person believes. Either way, there are a few official beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church, many of which stand out from different Christian sects. The main belief of the Greek Orthodox Church is the holy trinity, which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This video does a pretty good job of explaining everything, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any questions about Greek Orthodoxy, I would love to answer them.\

What are some forgotten Greek traditions that youd like to bring back?

There are so many beautiful Greek traditions that many of us don’t do anymore. Personally, I don’t attend church as much as I’d like to. I usually only go for Christmas and Easter and I would love to start going more often. What are some traditions that you have lost over the years that you’d like to start doing again? 😊

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

Greek Government Tradition of not being helpful, so how does one move ahead?

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter