1 - 5 of 5 Posts

paharo45

My family is Armenian but I know we have many Greek family members. Have any of you traced your family history? I would love to hear any stories that you have

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I have never taken a DNA test and that's something that I've always wanted to do because I don't know much about my family's history. Something just makes me nervous about giving my DNA to a private company. Anyone else feel that way?

No, I haven't taken any tests, but I know my dad's dad's side of the family can be traced back to the 1500s in Zakynthos (we have a letter written to our family by Saint Dionysios of Zakynthos and one of his shoes)

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

No, I haven't taken any tests, but I know my dad's dad's side of the family can be traced back to the 1500s in Zakynthos (we have a letter written to our family by Saint Dionysios of Zakynthos and one of his shoes)
Wow that's very far back, I haven't heard of many Greeks being able to trace their ancestry so far

k_tsoukalas

My family is Armenian but I know we have many Greek family members. Have any of you traced your family history? I would love to hear any stories that you have

I have take the Ancestry.com DNA test but it hasn't given details about where in Greece my family is from. I know from family stories, though, that I have ancestry on Kythira, in Athens, Sparta, and Asia Minor (Greek). It's fascinating!

You do not need to be a fisherman to catch great fish in Greece!

Some buddies of mine gather here at the dock every week and do some night time fishing!! They catch some pretty great fish even though they're just chilling at the side of the road, all you need is patience....and the sunset view doesn't hurt

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 8.33.56 PM.png

Learn Greek vocab words about the workplace!

Here are a few Greek words to get you by when you're talking about work!

Τι δουλειά κάνεις; Ti thoulya kanees; What do you do for a living?
είμαι … eemai … I am

• Doctor – ο γιατρός – o yatros
  • Dentist – ο οδοντίατρος – o othondyatros
  • Electrician – οηλεκτρολόγος – o oilektrologos
  • Engineer – ο μηχανικός – o mihanikos
  • Farmer – ο αγρότης – o agrotis
  • Hairdresser – ο κομμωτής – o kommitis
  • Lawyer – ο δικηγόρος – o thikigoros
  • Pharmacist – η φαρμακοποιός – o farmakopyos
  • Plumber – ο υδραυλικός – o uthraulikos
  • Salesperson – ηΠωλητής – I politis
  • Teacher – οδάσκαλος – o thaskalos

What are some Greek traditions for good luck?

I have a job interview coming up and i’d like to channel some good energy and luck! What are some old Greek traditions for good luck? Thanks 🧿

These Greeks have found the key to a long life

All I wish in this life is to learn from these types of people. It's so inspiring

A little bit about Katharevousa (formal Greek)

This is some cool info I found out about katharevousa.

Greek is the official language and is spoken by nearly all the citizens. It is an Indo-European language that has been used in this area since the second millenium B.C.E. , although it has undergone considerable change. A major division exists between the ordinary spoken language known as demotic and a formal version known as katharevousa, which was developed in the eighteenth century to revive elements of ancient Greek and develop a national language that did not favor any regional dialect. Katharevousa spread quickly among political leaders and the intelligentsia. Writers initially embraced it, although most turned back to demotic Greek by the twentieth century. Katharevousa was used for most state documents, in many newspapers, and in secondary school instruction until the 1970s but has been displaced by demotic Greek since that time.

Source: https://www.everyculture.com/Ge-It/Greece.html#ixzz717YSfPBy
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter