1 - 3 of 3 Posts

tomipark

Hey everyone! My husband is Greek Orthodox and I’m considering converting to the religion. We’re thinking of traveling to Kefalonia this summer and I want to visit some monasteries and learn more about Orthodoxy and the religion. I also love the architecture like the one in this picture.

monastery-osios-loukas-arachova-720x480.jpg

• Love
Reactions: voula_slat

voula_slat

Agios Gerasimos Monastery is at the mountainside monastery honors the patron saint of the Kefalonia. Dating from the 16th century, it is considered a sacred pilgrimage site. It’s super holy and I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
The Monastery of Lagouvarda is a nunnery that is renowned for the annual appearance in the churchyard of non-venomous snakes with black crosses on their heads. Their arrival each August relates to a local legend dating from medieval times. Residents touch the small reptiles for good luck. It’s not a super common or traditional monastery, but it would be super cool to visit.

Have you been to any monasteries in Kefalonia?

Hey everyone! My husband is Greek Orthodox and I’m considering converting to the religion. We’re thinking of traveling to Kefalonia this summer and I want to visit some monasteries and learn more about Orthodoxy and the religion. I also love the architecture like the one in this picture.

monastery-osios-loukas-arachova-720x480.jpg

What are the best places to go to in Kefalonia?

Please let me know some of the best places you’ve been to in Kefalonia! I’m dying to go and want some advice on where to go. Pictures would be appreciated :)

What is the easiest way to travel to Kefalonia?

Has anyone been to Kefalonia before? What's the most efficient and cost effective way to get there? Thanks

What is the superstition behind the snakes at the Virgin Mary Church in Kefalonia?

Hey everyone, I heard a really spooky story about how snakes gather at the foot of the Virgin Mary Church in Kefalonia every year on August 15th (the day of the Virgin Mary). Does anyone know anything about this? I'd love to hear the story and superstition behind it.

Is climbing Mount Ainos in Kefalonia exhausting?

Has anyone climbed Mount Ainos? I would love to take on the challenge but I'm a little out of shape LOL. How difficult is it?

mount-ainos-kefalonia-720x480.jpg

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter