1 - 3 of 3 Posts

tomipark

Hey everyone! My husband is Greek Orthodox and I’m considering converting to the religion. We’re thinking of traveling to Kefalonia this summer and I want to visit some monasteries and learn more about Orthodoxy and the religion. I also love the architecture like the one in this picture.

monastery-osios-loukas-arachova-720x480.jpg

• Love
Reactions: voula_slat
Agios Gerasimos Monastery is at the mountainside monastery honors the patron saint of the Kefalonia. Dating from the 16th century, it is considered a sacred pilgrimage site. It’s super holy and I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

The Monastery of Lagouvarda is a nunnery that is renowned for the annual appearance in the churchyard of non-venomous snakes with black crosses on their heads. Their arrival each August relates to a local legend dating from medieval times. Residents touch the small reptiles for good luck. It’s not a super common or traditional monastery, but it would be super cool to visit.

The island of Kefalonia just published brand new tourism videos!

These official videos have just come out and they're stunning. There's a few different ones, this one focuses on food and gastronomy but there are others such as Destinations, Nature etc. The quality of these videos is so amazing and I am sure that it is going to attract very many tourists. I am even considering visiting the island myself even though I never had it on my list. I am so excited to see what else they come out with!

Have you seen drogarati cave in Kefalonia?

Drogarati cave is the kid that has existed for centuries, but was discovered only 300 years ago and is open for tourists!! You may find this cave a little bit spooky, or absolutely beautiful. It has many stalegtites and stalelmites that cover the cave. The cave was even used during World War II if you can believe it. Take a guided tour, where someone will explain to you the history of the cave and the uses during the war. Here are some links for more info

Check out Agia Efimia, Kefalonia

Agia Efimia is a small village on the coast of Kefalonia with amazing beaches and restaurants and hotels. One of the most highly rated restaurants in the village is To Steki, which means "the hangout." The food is so fresh and I highly recommend that you visit after spending some time at the beach :)

Have you ever been to the Castle of Assos in Kefalonia?

The Castle of Assos is an old Venetian fortress that has been left over from the Italian occupation of the island. Today, it is a beautiful pile of ruins that tourists can visit and learn about the history of Greece. You can hire a guy to take you around the different parts and explain the history, but I don't really recommend them as most of the information is available online if you're willing to do your own research. Please let me know if you've ever been! I would love to learn about what you thought of the castle.

Have you tried Mandola? Its Kefalonias most famous sweet

Mandola is a very popular sweet in Kefalonia and it is one of the biggest exports from the island. This treat is made of almond, honey, sugar and egg whites. The dessert has a few different variations, but is usually gluten free! The ingredients are very simple which is why they are so allergen friendly. I was doing some research and apparently these cookies are originally from the Venetian occupation in Kefalonia.
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter