1 - 1 of 1 Posts

nadellii

Shrimp dolmadakia are a lesser known dish that is made locally in the Ionian islands. The flavor is very similar to those made with beef since they both use tomato sauce and aromatic herbs. The only difference is that there is a strong seafood taste, as they are cooked in a seafood broth. These ones here are made in an abstract shape and topped with lemon sauce. It’s a super unique dish that I definitely recommend you try if you ever see these on the menu.

5FD88351-B1D5-4DE5-97E8-A4BBE3992EF0.jpeg

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Info about the Greek Mediterranean diet

I love Greek food and I am trying to stay healthy and lose weight. So, I have been following a healthy lifestyle and trying to adopt the Mediterranean diet. I noticed that some Greek foods are kind of meat oriented, but I have realized that a lot of these foods aren't eaten every day. So, I have been researching. Here are some resources I found:

I would love to find some other resources. Share them if you know them!

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter