1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greek_ggirl

This dressing style brings me so much comfort. I love seeing the soldiers stand outside of Syntagma looking so proud and traditional, just like my great grandparents would. If you would like to learn more about evzones, check out this article

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

tomipark

This dressing style brings me so much comfort. I love seeing the soldiers stand outside of Syntagma looking so proud and traditional, just like my great grandparents would. If you would like to learn more about evzones, check out this article

View attachment 638
I love the traditional outfits! Thanks for posting :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is even more information about the Greek Evzones:

k_tsoukalas

Watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Athens is a really cool experience that never gets old! Thank you for sharing this!

Learning about Greek Orthodoxy - resources?

I am on an active process to learn more about Greek Orthodoxy - it has been my project for the past year. I am having a hard time tracking down resources. Does anyone have an y books to recommend?

I have read so far:

Thinking Orthodox - Eugenia Constantinou

Orthodox Study Bible

Welcome to the Orthodox Church - Frederica Matthews Green

Thanks!

What games do people play in Greece?

I noticed that there is a taverna culture of "gaming". I see tavli played all the time. Are there other games people play?

I am wondering if people play chess, checkers, that kind of thing? What about physical games like bocci like they play a lot in Italy? I have seen this game in Switzerland and other places, too, and wonder if the Greeks also play it.

Also, what do kids play for games in Greece?

Marriage between cousins surprisingly common in Bronze Age Greece -study

How do people in Greece exercise?

When I visit Greece, I am always amazed that I don't see fitness centers or gyms. How do people in Greece exercise? I did see a lot of workers and a runner or two on ny given day. What's strange is that I know plenty of people in Greece who actually go to the gym.

What is the general attitude for exercise and fitness in Greece? What do people do? I plan to visit Greece soon and I want to plan some workout time, and am just looking for ideas.

Celebrating Greek Name Days

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube