1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greek_ggirl

This dressing style brings me so much comfort. I love seeing the soldiers stand outside of Syntagma looking so proud and traditional, just like my great grandparents would. If you would like to learn more about evzones, check out this article

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

tomipark

This dressing style brings me so much comfort. I love seeing the soldiers stand outside of Syntagma looking so proud and traditional, just like my great grandparents would. If you would like to learn more about evzones, check out this article

View attachment 638
I love the traditional outfits! Thanks for posting :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is even more information about the Greek Evzones:

k_tsoukalas

Watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Athens is a really cool experience that never gets old! Thank you for sharing this!

Tips for Learning Greek While in Greece?

Now that I am getting older, I realize how important my Greek heritage is. So, I've made it my mission to learn more about it. One of the things I want to do is get better at Greek. And sure, I know I can use language programs - but it seems to me that learning it while in the country might be a little easier. I know that a 2 or 3 week trip won't make me fluent, but I bet it can give me a really good head start. Do you guys have any tips for how I can immerse myself in the Greek language while I am in the country?

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube