1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting about the worry beads. I see them all over Greece, and the video was fascinating!

lalajess

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

This is so cool! I always buy some when I am in Greece, and I never knew how they were being made.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

What are some forgotten Greek traditions that youd like to bring back?

There are so many beautiful Greek traditions that many of us don’t do anymore. Personally, I don’t attend church as much as I’d like to. I usually only go for Christmas and Easter and I would love to start going more often. What are some traditions that you have lost over the years that you’d like to start doing again? 😊

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter