1 - 2 of 2 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

The Pontian language is one of the few languages/dialects that still exist in Greece today. It is spoken by Pontians, who are a Greek ethnic group from the Black Sea area in Turkey, but now live all over Greece and different parts of the world. The dialect is very similar to Greek, but there are many nouns that are different as you will notice in the video if you speak Greek. There are many people trying to keep this dialect alive as the number of speakers is diminishing.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

k_tsoukalas

So fascinating - it sounds so different from the Greek we know in Greece!

Should I still get a gift if I cant make it to the wedding?

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.

Here is an overview of the beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church

Of course, there are many variations as to what every individual Greek Orthodox person believes. Either way, there are a few official beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church, many of which stand out from different Christian sects. The main belief of the Greek Orthodox Church is the holy trinity, which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This video does a pretty good job of explaining everything, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any questions about Greek Orthodoxy, I would love to answer them.\

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

When everyone has the same name, you gotta have some nicknames!

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter