1 - 5 of 5 Posts

blopez34

One of my favourite tricks that I use when cooking lamb to get all of the flavour inside of the meat, is poking holes in the lamb and stuffing about 1/4 of a clove of garlic inside. Before putting the garlic in the lamb, I coat it in salt, pepper, and oregano. This makes sure that the garlic flavor goes throughout the whole lamb, and this is especially useful when cooking bigger chunks of meat such as the leg.

One of my favourite tricks that I use when cooking lamb to get all of the flavour inside of the meat, is poking holes in the lamb and stuffing about 1/4 of a clove of garlic inside. Before putting the garlic in the lamb, I coat it in salt, pepper, and oregano. This makes sure that the garlic flavor goes throughout the whole lamb, and this is especially useful when cooking bigger chunks of meat such as the leg.
This is such a great idea. My mother said that her family used to do that, but we somehow lost the tradition. We all love garlic, too.

Reactions: efhernandez_
We are going to be marinating our lamb leg this year so this tip comes at a great time! I didn't think to do this with the garlic - it's an excellent tip.

Another tip that we are going to use is to prep the lamb (coating like you mention) the day before. We then pack it in ice and have it ready for the spit the next morning.

Here is the what the finished product looks like from a few years ago:

Why-Do-We-Roast-Lamb-at-Easter.jpeg

Reactions: efhernandez_

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh Ingredients in Greek Cuisine?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Greek cuisine and I'm curious about the role of fresh ingredients in traditional Greek dishes. From what I've seen and read, it seems like fresh, high-quality ingredients are crucial for achieving the authentic flavors of Greek meals.

I have a feeling that it is the freshness of the ingredients that really makes Greek cuisine special. The problem is, I am trying to figure out how to recreate that in the United States where I live. I know I can have a garden, but besides that, what other advice do you have? I could always go to farmer's markets...

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Typical Greek Breakfast Foods?

I'm curious to learn more about Greek cuisine, specifically breakfast foods. What are some typical breakfast items that people in Greece enjoy? I've heard a bit about yogurt and honey, but I'd love to know more about other traditional options.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences or insights?

Looking forward to reading your responses and learning more. I am a Greek Canadian and I noticed while in Greece that they don't make a big deal of breakfast. Is it just a small meal eaten fast? I tend to eat bigger breakfasts.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back