1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

Of course, there are many variations as to what every individual Greek Orthodox person believes. Either way, there are a few official beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church, many of which stand out from different Christian sects. The main belief of the Greek Orthodox Church is the holy trinity, which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This video does a pretty good job of explaining everything, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any questions about Greek Orthodoxy, I would love to answer them.\

Reactions: Jawge

k_tsoukalas

This is a very fascinating and insightful interview. Interesting that it was put together by a Protestant. I learned a ton here and I am a cradle Orthodox!

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!

Great news! My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is being filmed

This was first posted on Nia Vardalos' instagram! I'm so excited to see the third movie and what the writers and actors have come up with. Of course, nothing is going to beat the original, which I absolutely love. But, it is nice to see Greeks on the big screen. What do you think? Are you excited?

Make sure you bring a dessert or small gift if youre invited to a Greek household

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter