1 - 1 of 1 Posts

cubrinj

These people were Greeks who lived in Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and were forced to immigrate to Greece as refugees. Their history is so important to modern Greek history, I hope it doesn't get lost.

What are your favorite Greek inventions?

Mine is the water mill hands down! This revolutionized so many things and made a huge impact!! What is your favorite Greek invention?

water-mill-720x480.jpg

The history of Oxi Day (October 28)

Oxi Day in Greek is the “Day of No”. The history behind it is that The Axis powers wanted to occupy Greece during World War II because of its strategic location. Mussolini gave the option for Greece to accept occupation instead of going straight to war. He gave Ioannis Metaxas an ultimatum. This is when Metaxas, the prime minister of Greece said "No" and decided that Greece would go to war to defend itself. This is why we celebrate Oxi Day to this day. :)

Historical interview of Anatolian immigrants to Greece

These people were Greeks who lived in Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and were forced to immigrate to Greece as refugees. Their history is so important to modern Greek history, I hope it doesn't get lost.

What is your favorite moment in Greek history? Mine is Oxi Day 🇬🇷

For those of you who don't know, Oxi Day is when Greek prime minister Ioannis Metaxas rejected the ultimatum made by Italian dictator Benito Mussolini in 1940 which demanded that Greece allow Axis forces to enter Greek territory or else there would be war. He then responded with "No" or "Oxi," implying that Greece would go to war!

Ever wondered what Ancient Athenians did on a daily basis?

Wonder no longer! This is what life was like for an everyday Athenian in ancient Greece

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter