1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

Homer is my favorite Greek philosopher of all time! His influence is still felt today and its even required readings for many high school and university courses. Who is your favorite Greek philosopher?

Homer.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
My vote for favorite Greek philosopher is Socrates! 🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

amygdalE

Homer is my favorite Greek philosopher of all time! His influence is still felt today and its even required readings for many high school and university courses. Who is your favorite Greek philosopher?

View attachment 668

I understood what you meant by your question, but I still have a problem with the word "philosophy"since neither the Iliad nor the Odyssey are written in the dialogue style of Plato, or in the prose style of most philosophers who discuss a topic "in the abstract". Poets like Homer and novelists like Camus and cultural essayists like Nietzsche -- just to mention three names, are "thinkers" or observrs of human conditions, and express their wisdom or insights in concrete social contexts [such as a war, a tourist adventure, an imaginary journey, a published/literary drama (like Sophocles' Oedipus Rex) , etc. So, I distinguish Philosophy Proper [done in the abstract] and Adventitious Philosophy [done in the concrete, in described world situations]. // I, too, love Homer, a great philosophical poet!// Historians, like Polybios, can also be philosophical, This is one of his oft-quoted observations: There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscious [conscience] that dwells in the heart of every man.

Last edited:

What are the most popular Greek mythology stories?

Im looking to get more into Greek mythology....what are the most popular stories and what do you recommend reading? I wanna start off with something that will suck me in! Ive heard so much about Greek Myths but I never actually read any of them properly.

Movies inspired by Greek mythology that you should watch!

These aren't really "Greek" but they're great for those who love Greek mythology!

1. Disney's Hercules
2. Percy Jackson series
3. 300
4. Troy

What are some good Greek mythology tattoos?

I feel like Greek mythology tattoos are so cool, and a great way to showcase my love for Greek mythology. Ive seen some great art over the years, but does anyone have ideas for what would look good as a tattoo?

This is how Hercules became immortal!

Hercules is my favorite character in Greek mythology! Hercules was a demigod and he earned his freedom and immortality (turning him into a God) by completing tasks set to him by Eurystheus, King of Tiryns and Mycenae. These were called the twelve labours, one of which was killing the minotaur.

List of the best Ancient Greek and Greek mythology books!

These are some of the most popular Greek mythology books! I haven't read all of these, so please don't take my word for it completely but feel free to take a read and leave your reviews in the forum! The first two are ancient classics and the last two are modern takes by non-Greek writers. I think reading an array of Ancient Greek books will give you the most rich understand of the history and mythology.

1. Iliad (of course!)
2. The Odyssey
3. Circe by Madeline Miller
4. Pandora's Jar by Natalie Haynes
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter