1 - 7 of 7 Posts

greggd12

hey guys. do you have tips on traveling to Santorini but avoiding the swarm of tourist? my niece showed me a video that she took on one of the cliffs while she was filming the sunset and I have never seen so many tourists in my entire life. I would love to visit, but is there anyway to enjoy some peace and quiet while on the island?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Timing! Try going on an off peak time of year or end of the travel season (September is a great time to go, warm weather and warm ocean water still!)

IMG_6612-e1566590515374-720x960.jpeg

vkarag

September is the time...

It all depends on what you are looking for in a trip. If it's picture taking and seeing the sites I highly recommend May. It's beautiful, the weather is warm but not unbearable and you can even swim that time of year!

redsoxdw_

when I went to Santorini, my friends and I decided to go on the offbeat and path and focus more on authentic experiences and being in nature. It might not what you classically envision for a Santorini vacation, but when you talk to enough locals, they will point you in the right direction. one of my favorite memories was renting ATVs and going to a secluded beach with some wine from the supermarket. good times

knicks_fan87

My favorite way to avoid tourists is to get an Airbnb and ask the host what they recommend, the locals always know best!

Last edited:

paharo45

From what I've heard, it has become such a popular destination especially in the last few years so it’s going to be difficult to avoid the tourists. The best advice I would be able to give you is to get a hotel that isn't in the town center, they're usually cheaper anyways, and you can have some peace and quiet when you get back to the hotel.

Where to go shopping in Santorini Greece

Shopping in Santorini is one of the best experiences you can ever have because the shops are so unique and much of the stuff is handmade if you go to the right places. Santorini clothing has a very carefree and flowing vibe to it. Many of the clothes are white and made of linen, and match the colours of the island. The best places to shop is around Fira, the city center has the most ammount of stores and the greatest variety.

Visit the Symposium Cultural Center in Santorini

The Symposium Cultural Center is a fantastic place to go to when youre visiting the island. You will have access to everything from Greek food, art, history and culture through exhibitions and workshops. If you like hands on activities, I highly recommend that you sign up for a workshops with your friends or family when you visit. It is a great bonding activity and a nice way to experience all that Santorini has to offer. Here is the website and some links

https://www.symposionsantorini.com

How do I avoid the crowds in Santorini (besides going in the off season)?

I might be asking a very stupid question here… But is there anyway to avoid the tourists in Santorini besides going in the off-season? My husband is a teacher, and we really only get summers off, so there isn't a chance for us to go to Santorini in May or September. If anyone has advice on how to avoid the crowds, and how to travel on the off beaten path, please reply to this thread! Thank you so much!

What are your recommendations for Santorini?

I'm going to be going to Santorini for a couple of days after a small trip to Athens this summer. I've never been before and I really don't know where to start. I'm going to be travelling alone and looking to see the size and pretty much anything that Santorini has to offer. I'm not too picky when it comes to hotels and restaurants, so any advice that you have from your first hand experiences would be great. Also, if there are any extremely touristy areas that I need to avoid during certain times, please let me know.

The truth about costs in Santorini

Have you ever wanted some insight about the reality of how much you would spend in Santorini? Here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing you what some day-to-day expenses would be. If anyone has some advice on where to go in Santorini that is affordable, please let us know!

Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter