1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Hello again! I’m craving some Greek greens, but I was wondering where I can get my hands on them outside of Greece. What are they called and are there different types of greens?

Horta.jpg

dpappas87

That’s such a good question! I love xorta and they’re soo good for you. Technically, there are two popular types of Greek xorta (vlita and radikia). Radikia are also known as dandelion greens are much easier to find oustide of Greece. You might have to go to a local farmers market and ask around.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
I wish I could help you, I only eat horta in Greece and my family gets them from the side of the road like this lol

xorta.jpg

k_tsoukalas

You can technically use any greens that you find in the store that are able to be boiled, like collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, escarole, etc. It being Greek is more about the seasoning - it's usually lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt. The greens themselves are less important. You can also forage for your own. Vlita is amaranth, you can use dandelion greens, and another great one is "levethies", also known as lamb's quarters or wild spinach. In Greece, they use whatever is available.

Yahnera-720x480.jpg

Last edited:

What can I eat as a vegetarian in Greece?

I’ve heard many jokes (and i’ve seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding) about Greeks eating a lot of meat. Will I be able to survive in Greece as a vegetarian?

Recipe for Greek Easter lamb marinade

Does anyone have a really good marinade for lamb? I really wanna try it out for easter but I'm a little bit intimidated not gonna lie. I want to make it in the oven with potatoes like this:

greek-lamb-recipe-720x480.jpg

Is baklava Greek or Turkish?

I don't mean to be controversial here...but I'm curious about the origins of baklava. I've heard a lot of debate, does anyone know where it comes from?

baklava2.jpg

How can I replicate the Greek taverna grilled pork chop at home?

One of my favorite dishes to order at the taverna is the pork chop, but I can never seem to replicate this beauty at home. Someone please help!!

brizola.jpg

What are your favorite Greek fruits?

I love picking fresh figs from my family's garden in Greece. They're so sweet I eat them for dessert. Show me pics of your favorites!!

fig.jpg

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter