1 - 6 of 6 Posts

axariotisxy

As Easter is approaching I wanted to ask how everyone's Easter was last year. I know this year has been filled with a lot of grief and pain, and I really want to give my family a great Easter in 2021. How was yours last year? How did you find ways to have fun even in the midst of a pandemic?

nickstamoulis

Administrator
Staff member
In 2020 for Greek Easter we kept it very small! (normally a large family event).

Still not sure for this year, but since it is on May2nd, warmer weather and more people getting vaccinated, hopefully can still be fun this year too!

Here is a photo from a few years ago of the lamb that we roasted on a spit in our yard:
Why-Do-We-Roast-Lamb-at-Easter.jpeg

Joni T.

As Easter is approaching I wanted to ask how everyone's Easter was last year. I know this year has been filled with a lot of grief and pain, and I really want to give my family a great Easter in 2021. How was yours last year? How did you find ways to have fun even in the midst of a pandemic?
Oh my...in thinking back on it, it certainly didn't feel right. We weren't able to go to church, church was closed. We had no big family gathering... We certainly have become more technologically adept, meeting on Zoom.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

TatianaS

Easter last year didn't feel like Easter, not just because of the lamb.....which was missed for sure, but because we weren't able to go to church. Luckily. my uncle is a psalti and was able to 'deliver' the holy light to us to bless our homes.
This year it still wont' be the same but at least participating in church and seeing some family outdoors will make it feel more like Easter!

3 words. Drive-Thru Lamb Pickup! Since we couldn't safely gather, my father and I roasted the lamb on a spit and invited our family and friends to drive by for a plate. If they came early they got a piece cut right off the spit served to them on a plastic fork :) It wasn't the same but it made it all a little more fun. This year we are hoping to be able to have a some immediate family over to stay!

greek_ggirl

3 words. Drive-Thru Lamb Pickup! Since we couldn't safely gather, my father and I roasted the lamb on a spit and invited our family and friends to drive by for a plate. If they came early they got a piece cut right off the spit served to them on a plastic fork :) It wasn't the same but it made it all a little more fun. This year we are hoping to be able to have a some immediate family over to stay!
THAT'S GENIUS!! I'm sending this to my whole family rn lol

What are some old Easter traditions?

I'm curious...are there any older Easter traditions that we don't practice anymore? Has Easter always been celebrated with the lamb, Anastasi and egg cracking?

What time do Greeks eat their meals?

I'm planning my trip to Greece, and from what I've been told Greek people eat at different times than people from other countries. What are the most popular meal time is in Greece? What time should I plan to go out for dinner, lunch, and breakfast?

greek dinner.jpg

I am a non-Greek and I don’t know how to choose Godparents

I am six months pregnant and I'm married to a Greek guy and we've been having lots of discussion about Godparents. I'm not Greek so I don't know too much about Godparents and I've never had any. Could anyone give me some advice on how to choose Godparents? I’m so lost!!

How can I have a COVID safe baptism?

I was asked to be a nona (godmother), and I'm helping my best friend plan the baptism for her firstborn son. We're so excited but we want a lot of her family members to be present. I know technically baptisms are supposed to be held inside the church, but has anyone heard of baptisms being outside? She's planning on having the baptism in Greece, and the weather will most likely be very nice. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Why Do Greeks crack eggs for Easter?

Hey guys, what's this tradition all about? Does cracking eggs mean anything or is it just a fun game?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter