1 - 7 of 7 Posts

greek_ggirl

What is the story behind Zeus?? How did be become so powerful?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Zeus has always been one of my favorites!

Here is a ton of information about the king of gods within Greek mythology:

amygdalE

The Greekboston article does a good job in re-telling myths about Zeus and seems to answer the question by referring to the choice by lot between him, Poseidon, and Hades, but I see that the mythographer already knew the 3 brothers as lords of the 3 kingdoms. So, we should inquire why, for the original myth-makers, Zeus was most powerful. Their power is measured by their deeds. Well, since the gods are not observable anthropomorphic realities, there are no deeds available for consideration: we must look for natural events (that affect humans), such as storms, volcanic fires, violent winds, etc., that some humans called Theoi or by some other name. Later, such nature-forces were personified and resulted in the mythic pantheon we are familiar with. As personified, Zeus used to gather clouds, to be the arbiter of wars, etc. ,but to begin with, Zeus was a hurricane or the like, whereas his brothers are minor forces (which we may have even difficulty idenifying). Anyway, the gods -- such gods -- are the most evident, conspicuous, realities in the world; there is no need to prove their existence by argumentation....

Last edited:
Reactions: paharo45

amygdalE

The Greekboston article does a good job in re-telling myths about Zeus and seems to answer the question by referring to the choice by lot between him, Poseidon, and Hades, but I see that the mythographer already knew the 3 brothers as lords of the 3 kingdoms. So, we should inquire why, for the original myth-makers, Zeus was most powerful. Their power is measured by their deeds. Well, since the gods are not observable anthropomorphic realities, there are no deeds available for consideration: we must look for natural events (that affect humans), such as storms, volcanic fires, violent winds, etc., that some humans called Theoi or by some other name. Later, such nature-forces were personified and resulted in the mythic pantheon we are familiar with. As personified, Zeus used to gather clouds, to be the arbiter of wars, etc. ,but to begin with, Zeus was a harricane or the like, whereas his brothers are minor forces (which we may have even difficulty idenifying). Anyway, the gods are the most evident, conspicuous, realities in the world; there is no need to prove their existence....
An addition to my above reply: As we already know, "Hades" was the name of a god as well as of his abode, namely the dark and quiet underworld. So, I presume that our experiential basis of the god is some cave which was dangerous, menacing, such as a cave/cavern with wild animals. We have a clue for this in the fact that Kerberos and some other monsters were [in myths] guardians of the entrance and, in other myths or suppositions, guards to prevent the escape of the dead. The interior of some such caves had streams of waters or rivers, wherefore Orphics who died were warned not to drink from the Lethe river (and thus obliterate their memory or consciousness_). [For instance, this warning was written down on gold-leaf tablets which have been discovered at Thourioi, a city in Greek-colonized southern Italy, from which refugees founded my native town some miles away around 204 B.C.] Example: A cave with such an interior existed also in S. Italy, near Naples/Neapolis and Kymae (where there was the oracle of the Cumaean sibyl). // What could be the natural basis of Poseidon? He was also known as the god of fresh waters -- rivers and springs. Hence I suppose that harmful floodings, of rivers and of the sea, begot the idea of a god close in nature or power to Zeus and Hades.

Last edited:
Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

The Greekboston article does a good job in re-telling myths about Zeus and seems to answer the question by referring to the choice by lot between him, Poseidon, and Hades, but I see that the mythographer already knew the 3 brothers as lords of the 3 kingdoms. So, we should inquire why, for the original myth-makers, Zeus was most powerful. Their power is measured by their deeds. Well, since the gods are not observable anthropomorphic realities, there are no deeds available for consideration: we must look for natural events (that affect humans), such as storms, volcanic fires, violent winds, etc., that some humans called Theoi or by some other name. Later, such nature-forces were personified and resulted in the mythic pantheon we are familiar with. As personified, Zeus used to gather clouds, to be the arbiter of wars, etc. ,but to begin with, Zeus was a harricane or the like, whereas his brothers are minor forces (which we may have even difficulty idenifying). Anyway, the gods are the most evident, conspicuous, realities in the world; there is no need to prove their existence....
So what you're saying is that because he had control over hurricanes (most affect on humans) he was the most powerful?

amygdalE

So what you're saying is that because he had control over hurricanes (most affect on humans) he was the most powerful?
You see, I do not believe that the gods are products of the human imagination; I think that some events and some things around us are very powerful and, so to speak, awakened human consciousness and we named them. So, originally, hurricanes, volcanic fires, typhoons, etc., were what we call gods. Later on, humans thought of them as persons and developed the myths we are familiar with. Zeus, otherwise called Za and Deus [in Aeolic and in Latin], was originally a devastating storm. (Unlike Hesiod, the 7h cent. B.C. organizer of myths or theogonist, I do aetiology of gods: I seek the experienced causes/bases of their emergence.) //Inspired by Vico's "New Science" (18th Century), I venture to say, "en archE logos" -- in the beginning [of mankind] was the word, the names of the gods. Don't be offended for my use of your evangelical words, O John of Ephesus, who anyway walked on the footsteps of Heracleitos of the same city.

Last edited:
Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

You see, I do not believe that the gods are products of the human imagination; I think that some events and some things around us are very powerful and, so to speak, awakened human consciousness and we named them. So, originally, hurricanes, volcanic fires, typhoons, etc., were what we call gods. Later on, humans thought of them as persons and developed the myths we are familiar with. Zeus, otherwise called Za and Deus [in Aeolic and in Latin], was originally a devastating storm. (Unlike Hesiod, the 7h cent. B.C. organizer of myths or theogonist, I do aetiology of gods: I seek the experienced causes/bases of their emergence.) //Inspired by Vico's "New Science" (18th Century), I venture to say, "en archE logos" -- in the beginning [of mankind] was the word, the names of the gods. Don't be offended for my use of your evangelical words, O John of Ephesus, who anyway walked on the footsteps of Heracleitos of the same city.
Very interesting theory, I like to think that that's what the Ancient Greeks believed :)

Reactions: amygdalE

What are some good Greek mythology tattoos?

I feel like Greek mythology tattoos are so cool, and a great way to showcase my love for Greek mythology. Ive seen some great art over the years, but does anyone have ideas for what would look good as a tattoo?

Movies inspired by Greek mythology that you should watch!

These aren't really "Greek" but they're great for those who love Greek mythology!

1. Disney's Hercules
2. Percy Jackson series
3. 300
4. Troy

The Titan God Atlas is the one who held up the world

Atlas is one of my favorite characters in Greek mythology...he is literally the one who held up the world with his extreme strength. He was sent to hold up the earth as a punishment after the war between the Titans and the Olympians.

atlas-720x961.jpg

Check out this Greek mythology podcast!

I thought I would share this podcast for any fellow Greek mythology lovers who like to listen to a podcast on their commute or their morning walks. I love a little dose of mythology throughout my day and Im so happy that this podcast shares a bit of Roman mythology as well! There is so much more that I don't know about mythology that I've been learning just by listening to a few episodes. Hope you enjoy

Hades is the Greek video game inspired by Greek mythology

Hades is a popular video game released few years back that is inspired by Greek mythology. In Greek mythology, Hades himself is the god of the underworld which is similar to hell in biblical stories. The Olympians were very scared of Hades which is why the video game creators chose Hades as the main character of the game. I suggest that all of my video game and Greek mythology lovers check out this game!
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter