1 - 3 of 3 Posts

d_kakavouli

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

k_tsoukalas

There are some celebrations throughout the country. I believe it is a holiday where people have the day off and there might be parades and other celebrations. This is an important day for Greeks.

Tpebop

there will be many military parades especially in towns & large villages.

Greek-American Thanksgiving Traditions?

My husband's Greek-American family celebrates Thanksgiving even though a lot of them are from Greece. They have a traditional Turkey meal with mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted squash, etc. I did notice that they also can't help themselves and regularly serve Greek dishes on the table like pastitsio and spanakopita. They also make these ground beef, rice, and chestnut dish they call "Greek stuffing". I am curious - what do you guys all do for a Greek-American Thanksgiving?

Greek Ships Christmas Tradition?

I have heard of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas. I think it's called karakavi? Does anyone know anything more about it? This isn't a tradition my family adopted but I have heard of friends doing it. I am thinking of adding it to our holiday celebrations this year.

From what I can tell, people who don't have an actual boat decorate models of boats. At first, I thought based on pics I had seen of Greece in the past, that boat owners were just being festive. lol

Tips for Learning Greek While in Greece?

Now that I am getting older, I realize how important my Greek heritage is. So, I've made it my mission to learn more about it. One of the things I want to do is get better at Greek. And sure, I know I can use language programs - but it seems to me that learning it while in the country might be a little easier. I know that a 2 or 3 week trip won't make me fluent, but I bet it can give me a really good head start. Do you guys have any tips for how I can immerse myself in the Greek language while I am in the country?

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube