1 - 4 of 4 Posts

efhernandez_

How do all of you celebrate? I love attending any parades that are happening

Oxi-Day-720x480.jpg

ellinasgolfer0320

In America we have a celebration at the church and maybe a parade if you're in a city with a larger Greek population. In Greece, it's celebrated like Independence Day.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I wear blue and white all day on October 28, Oxi Day!!

greek-flag-1-720x480.jpeg

k_tsoukalas

The history of dressing for apokries (Greek carnival)

Apokries is the Greek carnival that happens right before Holy Lent, so it changes every year. It is sort of similar to Halloween....but not really. Comparing it to Halloween is really the best way to describe it to someone who is from a country that does not have this celebration. Dressing up in costumes is a practice that dates all the way back to Ancient Greece and was then incorporated to celebrate the Orthodox period before lent. Many different areas of Greece have specific costumes that people will usually dress up as. But for the most part, people can dress up as pretty much anything they want.

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

What is the most debated topic in Greek history?

I'd love to start a couple of debates and great conversations! I'm definitely not looking for a fight, just trying to have some engaging conversations. What are the biggest debates that you and your friends or family get into about Greek history?

"Cloudy Sunday" or "Ouzeri Tsitsanis" is a fantastic Greek film about love during Nazi occupation

This is one of Greece's best historical time piece films. The story follows a love between a Christian boy and a Jewish girl during the Nazi occupation in Greece. The story of occupation is not widely known around the world, but it is something very near and dear to Greek peoples hearts. It was a very dark time during Greece history, and the effects of the occupation were very strong, especially on the countries Jewish and Roma population. Let me know if you like this film.

Well,at last hope commences!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter