1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greek_ggirl

One of the most cherished things in my household is my mom's binder of old recipes preserved in clear plastic film. My mom has kept all of our family recipes in the original form which is old paper that is yellowing and in my grandmas handwriting. Because I am paranoid, I have taken pictures of all of the recipes and taken pictures of each recipe and uploaded them to the cloud so that I have a backup in case the binder gets lost. I urge everyone to write all of their family recipes down if you don't have them already!!

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great reminder and tip! I have taken photos with my phone of all of the older Greek family recipes left to me from my Mother and Grandmother.

k_tsoukalas

One of the most cherished things in my household is my mom's binder of old recipes preserved in clear plastic film. My mom has kept all of our family recipes in the original form which is old paper that is yellowing and in my grandmas handwriting. Because I am paranoid, I have taken pictures of all of the recipes and taken pictures of each recipe and uploaded them to the cloud so that I have a backup in case the binder gets lost. I urge everyone to write all of their family recipes down if you don't have them already!!
You're lucky you have this. My grandmother's recipes were in her head. She passed them down to me, and they're in my head. My mom tried to write some of the recipes down, but she missed some of the recipes. It stresses me out that I feel the family legacy of cooking stops with me aside from the handful (maybe 10%) that my mom managed to catalog. I am the only one in my generation from the family who knows the full repertoire from her food. She taught me when she used to watch me as a kid, and then as an adult I have added my own spin on things. So, I know what I have to do (write the all down) but it is a massive undertaking.

Mastic ice cream is the best dessert for summer

Greek mastic ice cream is one of the best summer desserts. It has such a unique flavor, and is made from traditional Greek ingredients. You can usually find this ice cream packaged in a grocery store, from a Greek pastry store, and some people even make it at home. If you would like to try to, here are some recipes that you can use.

How to make a gyro completely from scratch

Making gyros can be pretty simple… but also pretty complicated. If you're in the mood for a challenge, I recommend that you check out this video and try making all of the different parts of a gyro from scratch. This is what I like to do if I have a little extra time on my hands, and want to impress my family lol. Of course, ordering takeout is always a great option, especially if you're supporting a local Greek business.

Pasteli is a wonderful sweet snack

Pasteli is one of the best snacks that you can keep in your bag when youre on the go! Its made of sesame seeds and honey and is super healthy. You can think of it as the Greek version of granola bars. The recipe is super simple, and if you'd like to make it I have attached some recipes below. 😀

How to make a refreshing watermelon drink for the summer!

Now that it's heating up, I thought it would be very helpful for everyone in the World Wide Greeks community to make a watermelon drink for the summer! Whether you are going to be in Greece or in your home country, you can still make this drink. I must say though, that the water melons in Greece can't be beat! The recipe is very simple, and doesn't require much preparation. Here it is...

-Cut up 1 whole watermelon and blend in a blender in batches
-If the mixture is very thick, you can add water to your liking so that it is more like a juice rather than a smoothie
-if you like, you can add many different flavour variations like mint, orange juice, or lemon. I prefer mint :)
-Strain to remove seeds
-Add ice and serve!

All of the different shapes of baklava

Traditional Greek baklava is usually cut into triangles or squares, but there are many more very popular versions such as the round and rolled up ones. All baklava is pretty much exactly the same, only the shape is different. This video shows you all of the unique variations. I know that the video is in Turkish, but baklava is exactly the same no matter what country it comes from. These different shapes are definitely a little more difficult to make, and you'll need to be a bit more handy with the filo dough.

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter